Saturday, February 17, 2007

Fears of Impending Motherhood

I'm expecting my third baby in September. It wasn't a total surprise, just a small one, but it's still hard to imagine how our lives will change with this new baby. I find that I'm more sober this time around. When Brianna was born, I knew life would change, but I had no earthly idea how everything was going to change -- even the way I related to the rest of the world. I had barely had time to absorb the realities of motherhood when Alexander was on his way. Brianna had been an "easy" baby, so again, I had no clue what was in store for me. I was unprepared for a baby who hated to sleep, refused any and all pacifiers or lovies, and needed nearly constant skin to skin touch. By the time he was 2, Firmin and I were sure we were done having children. He had the most delightful and entertaining personality of anyone in the family (still does), but he exhausted us. Thus, both my pregnancies were spent in a kind of naive bliss; the first a product of total ignorance, the second a product of false confidence. This time, my happiness is more tempered. I trust that this baby will be a bigger blessing to our family than I can now imagine, but I also know that every change brings challenges and even some loss.

I'm hopeful about many aspects -- having a baby with 5 and 7 year old siblings will be dramatically different from the last time, when we had a 24 month old toddler. Brianna and Alexander can put on their own clothes, coats, and shoes. They can get their own breakfast and drinks of water. They can buckle themselves into the car on their own. They can do simple housekeeping tasks without much supervision. Both will be able to hold and play with the baby and mind it for short periods while I shower or make lunch. Brianna will be able to pick the baby up and carry it once it can hold it's head steady. They are both eager to be helpful and loving, and I know they will be.

In other areas, I'm preparing for changes that will be inevitable. As Brianna and Alexander have become more independent, I've created routines that take up more time or require a more stringent schedule than a baby will allow. Baking and cooking mostly from scratch, tending a medium size vegetable garden and preserving the produce from it, knitting, reading for pleasure, going to museums on the spur of the moment -- all will become more complicated, and many will have to be put on the back burner for a year or more. I know these are small things, to be postponed only for a time. It's just that I feel I've only recently reached this point of contentment and confidence as a mother, and soon things are going to be thrown up in the air again. It will be a spiritual exercise in patience and acceptance of one's season of life. How we will manage our homeschooling is another open question. I'm the kind of person who likes to know how things will go in advance so I can plan, yet there is just no way to know how this baby will affect our routine. We will simply have to wait and see and work with the baby's rhythms.

This time around I know something I didn't fully know when I was expecting my last two babies. I know that by welcoming another child, I'm signing on for more joy, laughter, and love; for more growth, challenge, and uncertainty; and yes, even for more pain, tears, and difficulty. One thing I've learned in nearly 7 years of parenting is that it's a package deal. You take the bitter with the sweet, the self-sacrifice with the gratification, the fear of the unknown with the thrill of moving forward in love.

Come September Baby, I'll welcome you with arms, heart and eyes open wide.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

It will be wonderful and it will be difficult and yes, the new baby will bring changes all of his/her own. I can promise you that 3 children is very busy and very loud. But I can also promise you that from the very second that little one is born, you will wonder how on earth you ever felt your family was "complete" before.

September seems far off right now, I can't wait to "meet" him or her either!

Anonymous said...

Steph,

You probably already know this, but you are a great mom. You were a great big sister (still are) and Baby #3 will be a lucky and secure kid in your family. Just a reminder from a Baby #3 (myself), we tend to be pretty content to just go with the flow. Whatever everyone else is doing is what we want to do too.

Aliki2006 said...

It will all work out--it's so hard to anticipate *too* much, isn't it, no matter how we want to.

naturalmom said...

Thanks for your thoughts Jen. Your experience with Nolan played a small part in giving me courage to go for one more!

Laura, Thank you so much for the compliment. I've been thinking of you a lot lately, and hoping this baby will be as adaptable and "content to go with the flow" as you were!

Alissa,
I am definately a person who tends to anticipate too much, lol! BTW, I wanted to comment on your blog about that wonderful conversation you had with Liam about the mysteries of the world, but I couldn't due to a glitch. (My screen is not showing me the visual verification letters to copy.) I hope it clears up soon, but I wanted to let you know how wonderfully sweet I thought that conversation was.

Stephanie

Friendly Mama said...

Stephanie,
I'm a homeschooling, Quaker mom of three in Nashville. I've been stopping in to read your posts for a few weeks and thought I'd introduce myself.
I relate to many of your fears. My boys are 15, 12 and 4. The older boys were 11 and 7 when their younger brother was born. I am a very active homeschool mom; I organize a lot of classes and field trips and we're out of the house more than we're home. My last pregnancy came as a surprise. When I found I was pregnant I felt somewhat overwhelmed. I couldn't imagine balancing the needs of an infant with those of two older children. When my older two were born I withdrew into a nest of domestic bliss (Ok, sore nipples and wet diapers, but I have the distance to look back with longing to that simpler time). I didn't want to keep the older boys from their social and educational activities but neither could I see dragging an infant around all the time.
Needless to say my fears were ungrounded. I found plenty of ways to juggle our schedule and meet the needs of all of my children. Having a very supportive homeschooling community helped a great deal. My children were fabulous about doing chores and caring for one another and the baby.
It all worked out just fine, as it will for you. Carmac has been an amazing blessing. When my older two were little I couldn't relax and enjoy things but I'm older, my marriage is a source of happiness, our financial situation is more stable and I can embrace the moment in a way I never could before. Carmac has allowed me (us-my husband and I) to experience the joy of seeing the world through the eyes of a little one in a way we weren't able before.
Blessings,
Mary
http://friendlymama.blogspot.com/

naturalmom said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Mary. They mean a lot to me. I'm glad you introduced yourself!

Stephanie

naturalmom said...

Thanks for the encouragement Birthstudent. As in your experience, I'm finding that moms who had their 3rd baby when the first two were a bit older (as mine will be) have generally had positive experiences, which is great to hear. The ones who say it was really hard tended to have two very young children in addition to the baby. I hope the pattern holds true for me! :o)

Stephanie

Just Me said...

Thanks for sharing these words about motherhood. I love the idea that parenting is a package deal. Reading this has been so timely for me.

My husband and I recently adopted a boy and his two younger sisters. We went from having 2 kids to 5 literally overnight. A lot of people can't understand why we did this and I haven't always been able to articulate it clearly. They seem to only think of the negatives. Sure it has been hard and difficult at times. We've all had to make BIG adjustments. I still experience moments of grief and loss for when we were just a family of four, when we weren't so conspicuous and different from others. Those moments are fleeting though. The laughter and joy and love are so abundant, the blessings so worth any sacrifices we may have made. Anyways I've gone on long enough. I just want to thank you for helping me get my thoughts a little better formed so that I can better answer the next "why?" question that comes our way.

I think one of the nicest things about having your other children so much older this time will be watching them nuture and delight in the baby. I get a thrill out of watching my 10 year old son help his 4 year old sister. He is so sweet and patient with her. You will get to to see all of your hard work in parenting your older children shine through when you watch them "parent" their new sibling.

Best Wishes to you and your family.

naturalmom said...

Thanks Ma! I looked at your blog, and you have a beautiful family. Congratulations!

Stephanie