Saturday, November 03, 2007

Super Dad

In 1994, I got a kitten. Before I brought it home, Firmin made it clear to me that the kitten would be *my* cat, and he would have nothing to do with it. Yeah, well... Within 30 minutes of the kitten’s arrival, he was in love. He was tender and playful with her and concerned for her well-being. I knew then, six years prior to the birth of our first child, that he was going to be a great dad.


Thirteen years and three children later, here's the latest evidence that I was right:


When I arrived home from running errands this afternoon, I found Firmin and the two older kids "tailgating" in our back yard. Alexander is on his lap; Brianna's reading a book by the fire. That's the college football game on the TV. How awesome is that?

Oh, and the half-circle fence around the fire pit area is one that he built this summer from discarded pallets.

While I'm bragging on him, did I mention that he also ran his first marathon a couple of weeks ago? Yup, he did.



*******
A bit of blog business: I want to say thank you to everyone for your comments. I love reading them, and I apologize for not responding to them directly very often lately. It's all Ethan's fault. ;o) Please know that I'm reading them and I hope to be able to be more responsive soon.


9 comments:

Ragnar said...

Oooo...congrats on the marathon to F, and congrats on finding a really special guy to you.

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness, that "tailgating" picture is one of the sweetest things I've ever seen. Alexander is going to remember things like that his entire life. (Brianna, too, though maybe it didn't have quite the impact? LOL!) Go, Super Dad! Congrats to F on his marathon (wow!) and look at you -- you look fantastic already, Stephanie!

Victoria said...

Ok, seriously, I wanna come tailgate at your house!! That's sooo cool! Congrats to Hubby on the marathon!!!

Aliki2006 said...

I'm going to have show Scott the tailgate set-up--it's exactly the sort of thing he would LOVE to do himself!

Great post--and congrats to Firmin for running the marathon!

huddtoo said...

How cute to come home to that! I had no doubts that F is a great dad anyway, but this sure shows it!! Sweet post!!

Congrats to him on the marathon! WHOO HOO for him!! I remember him running a 5K at one time. And you do look great!

vegiemama said...

Your dh sounds like such a sweet guy. You are lucky to have him in your life, and the lives of your children. Kids remember those special moments with daddy!

Just Me said...

Love the picture. Looks like it was a really fun time for all. I am impressed with Firmin's resourcefulness with the pallets (and possibly the umbrella). I'm not sure what the intent was, but it looks like the umbrella was strategically place to cut down on the glare so they could see the game better.

naturalmom said...

it looks like the umbrella was strategically place to cut down on the glare so they could see the game better.

Yeah, that's what it was for.

Anonymous said...

And THAT'S why we love our Sweet Firmin!!! You done good, Honey!!

Love,
Mom and Dad