Sunday, April 13, 2008

Other People's Holidays


Kids get you out of your comfort zone. Or they should, anyway. Here's how Alexander is expanding my world these days:

The other day, we read the Bible story of the Exodus, specifically the 10 Plagues that God visits on Egypt in an attempt to persuade Pharaoh to let the Israelites leave. These plagues are gruesome and the last one is violent, with the death of thousands of innocents, including animals and children. I was a little uncomfortable reading it. Alexander had no such trepidation. He thinks it's one of the best stories he's ever heard.

A river of blood? Eeeww! Cool!

Knee deep in frogs, first live ones, then dead ones? How excitingly awful!

A Pharaoh who keeps changing his mind about letting his slaves go? "Arrgh! God is going to have to send more plagues!" (Great minds think alike...)

The death of every first born human and animal in the whole country? A: "Wait -- what about Moses and his people?" Me: "If they put the lamb's blood over the door, everyone in that house lived." A: "Oh! Phew! THAT plague probably worked then!" (Did he read ahead?)

Our children's Bible contains some historic and cultural information in the sidebars. The sidebars on this page explained about how the holiday of Passover is a remembrance of this story of how the Israelites were delivered out of slavery in Egypt. Alexander was *all over* a holiday about this wonderful tale!

A: When is Passover?

Me: I'm not exactly sure, but it's some time around now. I can go look on the calender.

A: Can we do it? Can we do Passover? We could do it tomorrow -- it's OK if it's not the real day!

Me: Well... I've never participated in a Passover Seder. I don't really know how to do it. Let's get some books about it at the library tomorrow.

After checking the calender and seeing that Passover has not happened yet this year, and after reading some books about Passover, Alexander's interest in the holiday is still strong. We live just down the road from a Reform Jewish synagogue. I offered to call them and find out if they have any Passover services that are visitor-friendly. He loved the idea. I discovered that calling a house of worship that you are a total stranger to is a little scary! (What if I inadvertently offend or sound really ignorant, because I AM?) But hey, I'm a brave mama. I called today and left a message. ;o) If they call me back and welcome us, Alexander and I are going. I'll keep you posted...

6 comments:

Angela DeRossett said...

Awesome idea! We attended a Purim party last month (Esther celebration) and it was a wonderful experience. We were supposed to attend a Passover workshop but we were too tired from being out of town... Post when you learn about seder, can't wait to hear all about it!

Paper Dali said...

Ohhh, you'll have to tell us how it went!

We've celebrated Passover before, and some of our Catholic friends have done the same at the local Jewish synagogue. You just explain how you'd love to know more and that your intentions are good, and they were very welcoming.

My kids actually like to have an empty chair at dinner for Elijah. When they heard about that tradition, they thought it was so cool. : )

Let us know how it goes.

huddtoo said...

Can't wait to hear how it goes, and A's thoughts.

I honestly cannot imagine anyone telling you "no way, no visitors allowed" esp when a child is very interested in learning about it all. If they don't welcome you, I hope it's a learning experience for them as well.

You know, Amy could probably offer you some insight.

naturalmom said...

Oh, I was pretty sure they'd be welcoming, and they are. Someone called me back today. They have a Seder on Sunday evening that we can attend. We have to pay, but I suppose they can't afford to feed who-knows-how-many people for free. (Everyone pays, not just visitors. Wanted to make that clear!)

Stephanie

NorthCoastCouple said...

That's neat, Steph. I went to college with a girl who was a Jewish Christian and she did a whole presentation about Passover and what all the symbolism means. It was soooo interesting! It was especially interesting to hear what the symbolism meant to her and other Messianic Jews who believe in Christ. She was not disrespectful to other Jewish people, but you could really tell how special everything about the Passover Seder was to her from her 'Christian' perspective.

Jennifer said...

That's really cool. I can't wait to hear about it -- and to hear what Alexander thinks.