Saturday, April 11, 2009

Snatches

Sorry for the long hiatus between posts. Seems I seldom have more than 5 or 10 minutes to spend on the computer at one sitting, though I have those minutes several times a day. A good blog post -- any blog post other than a "Wordless Wednesday" -- takes much more concentrated time than that. (Even this one is taking longer than I intended!)

The good news is that I'm ready to begin a re-ordering phase. Perhaps it's the season, or just that I'm tired of always feeling behind. I feel like I do so much in "snatches" these days -- the computer, the kids, household tasks, gardening, errands. It all feels dis-jointed and inadequate. I hope to be able to organize my days such that I spend less of my life in snatches and more of it in full experience. Knowing myself as I do, it's a tall order. But now and then I manage it for a while, and life is so much better when I do. If I succeed, you'll likely see more blog posts and fewer Facebook updates. I like Facebook, but it's like living on snack crackers when you really want to cook and eat a good meal.

Computer time is over now -- gotta put the kids to bed. Wish me luck... and Light.

3 comments:

Just Me said...

Hi Stephanie,

I can really relate to this post. I think part of it, at least for me, is that I have a baby again. Maybe you are feeling less of that as E. approaches 2?

I can relate to the dis-jointedness and inadequacy you mention. I want to be able to devote more time and mindfulness to each of my tasks instead of feeling pulled from one to the other like I have very little control over what I am doing at any given moment. Some of this is part of the season of motherhood, yet I can't help feeling lately, that I have lost perspective. I'm so busy in the present that I don't feel like I know where I'm going anymore.

I wish you success in your re-ordering phase. I'll be sending you good thoughts and wishes.

BTW, I like your analogy of snack crackers and FB. I am really craving both the time to cook and eat a good meal. I mean that both figuratively (for many things) and literally.

Kimberly

huddtoo said...

Wow, interesting. I agree that FB is sort of like the crackers... it's banter back and forth - or like the "funny guy" in our local paper (once a week he writes a column) he signed up for twitter and he said it's just constant "I'm doing this", "I'm doing that"... no substance to his posts, just little snippets of stuff.

I look forward to posts about your garden, cooking, jam making, etc! ;)

Wish I had more time to keep my blog better up to date. I need to start posting a few more house pics...but since I never remember the camera, I don't get that far.

Jan Lyn said...

Hi Stephanie,

I understand some what as I feel that way myself keeping up with all the many things us mom's do. I often let my blog go for a while, not having a thing to write about or I simply don't have time but then too many ideas hit me all at once. I break up all my chores and such around the house to as I simply must pace myself. I think that sounds pretty normal for having young children. :) Just enjoy hearing from you when you have the time.
Blessings to you.
Jan Lyn