Monday, May 11, 2009

Spiritual Liberation and the "O" Word

I spent some time this weekend on a solo Mother's Day Retreat. My family graciously excused me for 24 hours to rejuvenate and relax. Yesterday, I spent some time with Philadelphia Yearly Meeting's Faith and Practice, a sort of "handbook" for Quakers. In the "Advices" section (page 82 of the 2002 edition or here, in section I) I read this:
As death comes to our willfulness, a new life is formed in us, so that we are liberated from distractions and frustrations, from fears, angers and guilts. Thus we are enabled to sense the Inward Light and to follow it's leadings.
I am struck by how I usually get this backwards. I've operated on the assumption that if I could just listen carefully enough to the Inward Light, it would lead me to actions that would rid me of distraction, frustration, fear, etc. In my experience that this does not work very well! I've blamed my own spiritual weakness, or a lack of time to devote to worship. Both of these might indeed be factors, but this passage leads me to consider the possibility that there might be steps I can take even when the Light burns dim within. (Perhaps especially then.)

I suspect this is where the word "obedience" rears it's ugly head. How do I hasten the death of my willfulness? I'm still mulling this over, but I'm pretty sure it will involve obedience of some sort. This could be my fundementalist upbringing showing, but I don't think so.

Like most modern Americans, the word "obedience" has negative connotations for me. In modern usage, it suggests that the benefit of the obedience accrues primarily to the one being obeyed and implies a threat if obedience is not forth-coming. Obedience is what slaves render to masters, children to parents (especially cruel ones), employees to bosses. But in spiritual matters, it must have a more nuanced meaning. What has God to gain from my obedience? Another piece of the "body" (I Corinthians 12) I suppose, but it would seem I myself, and those around me, have much to gain as well. And why would Spirit punish me? Any "punishment" is of my own making -- I miss out on something or end up in an unpleasant situation. So obedience to (with?) the Divine must be of a different character than obedience to masters, parents and bosses.

Obedience with
. I like that -- it seems mature and wise. Come to think of it, I obey countless "rules" every day simply because they are wise. I follow many rules in gardening so as to ensure a good harvest; I try to make sure the dishes are done before I go to bed so as not to start the next day two steps behind; I look both ways for cars before I cross the street so as to avoid injury or death. I didn't always know these rules, or understand why they are important. I've killed many a seedling out of ignorance or carelessness. I've learned the law of the dishes the hard way on more than one occasion. Ignorance of it did not excuse me from the consequences! Obedience with Spirit must be like this. No arbitrary laws or lightning bolts. Just putting God at the center of life instead of myself, deciding on faith to trust the rules that decision brings into focus and obeying them. What have I to loose but my distraction, frustration, fear, anger and guilt? If I only loose one off that list, I'll take it! As for a greater ability to sense the Light and follow it's leadings... One thing at a time, I think.

5 comments:

Laura K. said...

Oh, I like this discussion very much! I don't follow any particular religious or spiritual path myself, but I have always been very interested in learning about the various paths different religions take towards a closeness with their God or divine power.

The "death of our willfullness" reminds me somewhat of the buddhist idea of freeing ourselves from wants. That unhappiness comes from wanting what we do not have. I've always equated this with a wanting of tangible things (money, property, even another person), but I can see how its meaning may be greater. A coming to peace with what we are given, and taming the willfullness that makes us fight against that which we will never "win".

And I like where you've come with your understanding of "obedience". Understanding obedience as an adherence to the ways of life as God/Nature intends seems a healthy - and challenging - interpretation. As you say, some "Laws" are certainly bigger than we are, and obeying those laws rather than trying to willfully manage them on our own, is likely a better use of our energies.

huddtoo said...

I enjoyed dolphin's comments on this.

You got me thinking S!!

*"liberated from distractions and frustrations, from fears, angers and guilts."*

I have SUCH a hard time letting go of things. Lately has been tough for me (uh...2009 it seems). I really need to try to let go of some things, not hang on to old news. My hubby and I *really* want to get our house done and move in so we can sort of "start fresh". So, this was a good post (not that you have bad ones!! LOL), got me thinking. So, thanks!!

Jan Lyn said...

I liked this post a lot, especially viewing it in terms of simply putting God at the center as you said it. I think trusting the Spirit to guide our way in obedience--not so much a list of do's and don't's but listening and being led--possibly yeilding when I realize that I am wrong. As you said, one thing at a time. :) Thanks for a good read!

Imperfect Serenity said...

I echo the above comments. Thanks for the thoughts.

naturalmom said...

Thank You, ladies. I'm glad to hear that this post conveyed something of my thoughts, which are still a little fuzzy on this topic. I was afraid my disjointed thoughts would hinder my writing to the point that I wouldn't communicate much. I believe the disjointedness does come through, but at least I made enough sense to allow some readers to think about this with me. I'm still chewing on it myself...