Tuesday, October 13, 2009

October 2009

It's been a while since I've posted anything here. I've been wanting to put up something of substance, but honestly, my brain hasn't been ruminating on much that is original lately. I've been getting into the homeschooling routine for this year, finishing up the garden (still don't have the garlic planted yet), running to sports practices and games. I guess all of that external activity is not good for introspection and reflection. I still think about things, but mostly they are things that are brought to my mind externally -- from reading or hearing a news item or someone else's thoughts about a subject. I'm not reflecting long enough to form many  new or interesting ideas of my own. This doesn't feel bad or wrong; it's just where I am right now. As we head into November and the natural world goes dead and dark, perhaps I will be able to turn inward and find something worth writing about. In the mean time, here are some scenes from our house in October. Missing are pictures of Alexander's flag football. I really wish I had some, because 7 year old football players are super cute. :o) I think all of the recent pictures of Alexander are on Firmin's iPhone and I don't know how to download them. My own hit-or-miss shots with the real camera will have to do:



This is a typical mid-afternoon scene in the living room. The older kids are off playing elsewhere -- perhaps outside or on the computer -- having finished their school work for the day. I'm in the kitchen. Ethan has finished his nap, had a little Mommy time, and will play contentedly by himself for quite a while. What you can't get from the picture is the background sound track: The Wiggles, most definitely!


Firmin has always loved spending special one-on-one time at the table with the kids while they are little. I think Ethan looks especially like Firmin in this photo. He always has, but this picture captures a more mature face than Ethan usually exhibits, so the similarity stands out all the more. Ethan usually looks much more toddler-ish -- more like this:




Friend Ann washing some of the 200 chairs stored in our garage for eventual use in the new Meetinghouse. Between the grime from their previous life and the dust from being in our garage for a year, the cleaning crew had their jobs cut out for them!


Even hard work is fun if you get to use a power washer!


Brianna's bookshelf. (Found this on the camera -- she must have taken it.) The top shelf is her "stack" -- the books she is planning to read, aranged in the order she plans to read them. Most of the stack is composed of library books. The bottom shelf is a selection of books that she owns. This stack is average to small. Since this picture was taken, we've been back to the library. Her current stack is larger than usual and fills the top shelf completely!

4 comments:

Jan Lyn said...

I haven't blogged much lately either. Some times daily life, even the little things become more important. I enjoyed an update and seeing all your photos. Your bookshelf looks very familiar! :)

Su said...

I have a library stack, too! And it sometimes overflows its allotted space on the bookshelved by the front door. I don't arrange mine in the order I plan to read them, though. Maybe I should. Sometimes I waste a lot of time standing there, wondering what to pick up next.

huddtoo said...

Me, blogging? Not lately. I set mine to private too, will have to figure out how to invite you. :)

E is SO CUTE!!! :) LOVE that "toddler" pic!

B??? Uh, when did she get so grown up looking? WAH!

Are you allowed to have that many library books out at once? Wow. Our library doesn't let you take that many that I know of. Besides the fact that we would never get thru them all in the time they give. C now gets 2 books at a time from the library at school, 4th grade = more books. LOL Tho, she has a hard time getting thru just those two. She is so NOT a reader. I hope it will come eventually! I've been struggling thru a book (a small one that that) for like 2 months, so I guess I can't talk. I'm unmotivated to finish it at this point since I took a break. But, really want to get thru it. My good friend's hubby wrote it.

Sorry to ramble!! :)

naturalmom said...

Fran, we can have up to 50 books out at a time per card from our library. (Which is a metro-area library system with multiple branches.) Even so, we need to have 2 and sometimes 3 cards or we max out. It's not all pleasure reading -- we get many of our homeschooling books from the library as well.