Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Baby, you can't drive my car

Alexander: Mommy, how do you drive the car?

We were less than a mile from home. He has asked variations on this question several times, so I knew what he wanted. I explained how my foot pressed on the pedal to make the car go, how I had to hold the steering wheel just right to keep the car straight, how I took my foot off the accelerator and stepped softly on the brake as we neared our house, how I turned the steering wheel to the left to turn into our driveway. Foot back on the accelerator up the steep drive, back on the brake while I carefully steer into the garage and stop.

A slight pause, then, "O.K.! I can do all those things! Can I drive the car now?"

Poor kid. At 3 years old, he has such a long wait. This is not the first time he has remarked on the apparent ease of driving, and his confidence that he could do it just fine, thank you very much. When asked what he wants to be when he grows up, it invariably involves driving or operating something big and cool -- a train, a fire truck, an airplane, a crane, a bus.

Brianna just chuckles at him. I think she gets a secret thrill from knowing that she will be in the driver's seat before he will. She doesn't care all that much about driving right now, but she does like to go first!

2 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

Poor Alexander! Liam claims he knows how to drive a car, too. But have you thought about how, when you explain it to them, it really does sound awfully easy? No wonder they think they can do it, too!

--Alissa

naturalmom said...

You're right -- driving is something that is harder than it looks, especially when you first start. I remember the first time I drove a distance of a little over an hour. I had my learner's permit and drove with my parents to my grandparents' house. I was *so* exhausted by the time we arrived! I had to go to the guest room and take a nap, lol!