Friday, March 03, 2006

Educational Tape

My 3 year old son Alexander taped this plastic bowl to the dining room wall today. Why? Who knows? Did he like the pleasing contrast of colors (art appreciation?) Did he wonder how much tape was required to get the bowl to stay in place (Physics?) Perhaps, but I suspect that his real motivation was simply to use tape.

Both my kids love tape. I have an office desk style tape dispenser so that I can (almost) always find it, and so that I only have to buy refills. In case you've never noticed, tape is not cheap! Not when you have homeschoolers anyway. (I imagine all kids like tape, but school kids either get to waste the taxpayer's tape for a good portion of the day, or else simply don't have access to tape while in school, saving their parents' hard-earned dough.) It's worth it though, for the entertainment and, yes, educational value.

The other day, the kids spent nearly an hour taping coins to pieces of construction paper. (Inspired by the tooth fairy, who taped 5 year old Brianna's tooth money to paper so that it wouldn't get lost in the sheets.) They used gobs of tape, and ended up with pieces of paper that weighed at least a pound each. When they were done, I asked Brianna how much her paper was worth. We tallied up the coin values on the abacus, which happened to coincide neatly with her math curriculum, in which she is learning about coins and adding mulitiple quantities of numbers. I think I should deduct the cost of tape on our taxes as an educational expense!

3 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

Aaahhh, more tape lovers! Liam has had a love affair with tape since he's been three. We buy piles of it at the dollar store. I'll make sure I don't show Liam the bowl-taped-to-the-wall piece, since that might give him some ideas. We've already had nearly eveyrthing possible taped to the walls. I like the coin project! Might try that at home...

--Alissa

Anonymous said...

Dad and I just laughed as we thought of the antics of you and your sisters when you were kids!! We love your blog and think, of course, that the writing and design are brilliant. Looking forward to hearing more stories of you and the DH and B and A.

Mom

Jennifer said...

That picture is hilarious! My kids have never really been that into tape. Maybe because I'm mean and have it hidden away? LOL.