Saturday, April 01, 2006

Gifts From a Stranger

Today a young man came to our door. He was pale and dressed in a tattered coat. He shuffled a bit as he asked to use our bathroom. I hesitated. I became acutely aware of my children watching me. I was thinking simultaneously of their safety and their spirits, as well as this poor man's bladder. The inner conflict was nearly paralzing. How many times have we talked about the plight of the poor with the kids? How many times have we felt warm and fuzzy as we read the children's Bible and discussed what Jesus meant when said, "love your neighbor"? On the other hand, what about those afternoon talk shows about home invasion and the sly ways predators get themselves inside one's house? On a practical level, how can you say no to someone who really *does* seem to need to pee?

My husband was home and in clear view from the door, and I didn't get a bad vibe off the man, so I let him in and showed him to the bathroom. As he was about to leave, he asked for some money for food or the bus. He thanked us for letting him use the bathroom and sheepishly said that he hadn't wanted to go in public.

After he left, I kept thinking about him. I wondered what his history was. He claimed to be on his way to his mother's house. I hoped she was the kind of mother who would feed him and be a comfort to him. I thought about how our middle-class material security isn't nearly as secure as we like to believe. I could be walking in his shoes given the right (or wrong) set of circumstances. Too late, I remembered the nearly new coat that my husband has never liked much and so doesn't wear. It's a toasty down filled parka. Winter coat weather is nearly past, and I don't know if he would have a place to keep it over the summer, but I wish I had thought to offer it. The coat he was wearing was spilling stuffing from several places.

We gave him only what he asked of us: $2 and something to eat, along with the ability to pee with a shred of dignity. (How can it be in this wealthy country that not everyone has access to that??) We might have given him a new coat as well, had I been on the ball. We also might have been friendlier. Unfortunately I didn't recover from my apprehension quickly enough to respond adequately to this man as a human being.

What he gave us was much more valuable than what we gave him. I got an experience that countered the scare tactics of the local news and the heart-hardening overload of poverty statistics, a reward for trusting in an untrusting world, and an opportunity to minister to "my neighbor" in front of my children (though I wish I had done a much better job at it). Quakers believe that there is "that of God" in everyone. I'm thankful that this man brought his piece of God to our house today. I'm only sorry I didn't give him/Him the welcome he deserved.

5 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

Oh, gosh--I feel sheepish as I read your post, because I'm not sure *I* would have done the same. If my husband had been around, I mighthave, but I think I am just too anxious to open my door and let a stranger in. Sad, but true. I know that turning someone away truly does send a bad message to one's children, but then again, those scare tactics we hear about have worked on me.

Thanks for sharing this post. It's encouraging to think that simple human kindness can just be pure and simple, no "strings" attached. It's also sobering to think about how often acts of kindness do *not* end as well in this day and age.

-Alissa

Jennifer said...

Oh wow, Stephanie. What an "event", in so many ways. While I so want to be a person who has faith in the good in others, and I am a person who values compassion towards others, I don't think, actually, I would have let him in. I have too many fears, too many "what ifs", too many 10:00 news headlines flashing through my head. If Bill had been home, maybe, but still...I'm not sure. Your story is hopeful and insighful and thought-provoking though. And I'm so happy for everyone (all of you and the man) that things worked out as they did. SO heartwarming.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, we are so proud of the woman you are! I remember stories from my dad about the men my grandmother would feed during the Depression as they came to the farm where my grandparents and kids were living. (It belonged to her brothers - 3 honest-to- goodness Norweigian bachelor farmers!!) She was a small, timid woman, and was always a bit afraid. However, she felt fortunate to have food and a roof over their heads, so she shared willingly. Your grandpa said she usually tried to feed them on the back step, but they never locked their door and at times the men came in. They were never hurt or robbed, and he admired his mother for her generosity and courage. I know it is a different day and age, but those traveling "bums" were not all nice and kindly back then, either! I certainly don't urge you to take chances foolishly with my grandbabies :-), but you are passing on a legacy of generosity and compassion that I saw lived out in my own parents' lives many times as I grew up. Your dad recalled the remark about entertaining angels, unaware.

Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi! I followed your link from MDC - and I just wanted to say WOW! you are a fantastic writer, so eloquent, and you sound like a wise and compassionate Mama. Your kids are really lucky - I hope I can set that kind of example with my own baby girl.

- Sarah B. (who posts on Live Journal as woolymamma in a very sporadic way and somewhat more consistently as sarahcecile on MDC) :)

naturalmom said...

Thanks Sarah. I'm always glad to see MDC Moms here!

Stephanie