Saturday, May 27, 2006

Read This Book

I just finished reading The Ominvore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. I highly recommend it to anyone who cares about food, oil, animals, health, or just enjoys a good work of non-fiction. I was already aware of some of the information the author presents about pasture raised vs. corn-fed meat, and I had already changed my meat-buying habits accordingly. However, reading this book has prompted me to make even more effort to localize my food supply wherever possible. I’m going to have to get dh to read it (I think I’ll get it on CD for him) so that he doesn’t think I’ve gone off the deep end. ;o)

Seriously though, did you know how huge the percentage of our American diet is derived from corn? Even things you wouldn’t think of – meat, eggs and dairy products (because the cows and chickens all eat corn), spaghetti sauce, bread, beverages, and on and on. I was amazed at the list of additives which are really corn in disguise. Citric acid? Gee, you would think that would come from citrus fruits, but no. It’s corn. A researcher who has analyzed the number of carbon isotopes in humans that are unique to corn say that “We North Americans look like corn chips with legs.” The problem with this is not the carbon isotopes in our bodies, but what they reveal: our increasing reliance on a monoculture of corn. Not surprisingly, this is unhealthy for our bodies, our environment, our livestock, and even our economy.

Don’t even get me started on the fossil fuel issue. [sigh]

Now I’ve gone and ranted and made you think this book is one of those that makes you feel bad about something you can’t do anything about. Not so! (Or not entirely so, anyway.) The sections about organic farming, local food networks, and pasture farm systems were engrossing and even inspiring in places. Pollan is an engaging writer, with a self-deprecating sense of humor that is just right for the topic at hand. You also get to meet some wonderful characters in this book -- the two farmers featured prominently nearly pop from the pages in full rural color.

There is a lot in the book about meat, but I don’t think vegetarians should shy away. As I said, the implications of The Omnivore’s Dilemma go beyond the plate and touch upon farm policy, economics and local food systems. In the last section, he gives fair consideration to the animal rights movement, struggling with his own ethical qualms about killing animals for food. Ultimately, he defends the omnivorous habits of most humans, but he asserts that we should eat animals only after looking honestly at the reality of what it takes to get them to our table.

As Brianna says in every book report she writes: “Everybody should read this book!”

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds interesting! I would venture to say I'd disagree with the author's conclusions at the end of his book ;) but it still sounds interesting. One reason we're vegetarians is to live in a more "low impact" manner - but there is still a lot more we could do.

naturalmom said...

Whether you would disagree with him or not would depend on your reasons for vegetarianism. He really does give a sympathetic treatment of it, and I would venture to say that he would support any individual's choice to be vegetarian, *especially* if the alternative is to eat factory farmed meat. His biggest challenge is to the animal rights argument. He neither struggles nor quibbles as much with the health and "low impact" arguments. (Though I think he does address them in a somewhat indirect manner.) Even though you might disagree, I think you'd find his consideration of vegetarianism sincere and respectful. I really would love to hear your thoughts about the book if you read it, Jen. I think you would really like it -- or parts of it, anyway. (As much as I liked the book, I admit that I skimmed parts that were of lesser interest to me. I'm not into mushrooms, for example, so I pretty much skipped the chapter on foraging for them.) I think the first half of the book would really appeal to your political side, as well as your concern for the diet of your family. I know it really impressed me on those levels. Those first two sections were the most universally applicable, and were quite eye-opening. The 3rd section on pasture farming was relevant to me, but would be less so to a vegetarian. By the author's own admission, the 4th section on hunting and gathering is more entertainment than anything else. (Still mostly good reading though!)

Stephanie

Jennifer said...

I'm sold - I'll try to find it at my library. :)

Just Me said...

I really enjoyed your motherhood post so much that as time allows I am reading your old posts. I love your blog. It is really a nice way to spend a few minutes on the computer and it leaves me with so much to think about throughout the day.

Coincidentally, I just finished reading Omnivore's Delimna. I absolutely hated and loved this book. I knew I would hate reading the part about industrial food system but despaired over how even organic food can be and is part of the industrial food system.

I loved this book though because I do think it offers hope and gives such a good overview of our food systems and why it is so important for us to educate ourselves and make wise choices about food not just for the health of ourselves and children but for the earth and the many generations to come. Our current system is not remotely sustainable including "industrial organic".

My family and I are in the process of moving onto 70 acres and this book along with several others will form the foundation of how we will set-up our "family farm".

With Gratitude,
Kimberly

Just Me said...

I just read my last post. What a horrible run-on sentence in my 3rd paragraph. LOL! Hopefully you understand what I was trying to say.:)

Writing is not something that is easy and painless for me. I started my blog a few months ago sort of as a way to force myself to write.