Friday, May 26, 2006

Speaking of Digging...

I've been absent from the computer more than usual the past week or two, as it's heavy-duty gardening time here in Michigan. We had what should be our last overnight frosts a few nights ago, and Memorial Day is fast approaching. This year I have over 800 square feet to prepare and plant. (Don't think I'm not a little intimidated, lol!) I have some spring crops already up (peas, spinach, lettuce, garlic, and the perennial herbs), but most of the garden was waiting for the warmer weather. Earlier this week, Brianna and I planted leeks, oregano, chamomile, chard, kale and broccoli in one section. Over the last two days, I've been gathering the rest of the seeds and seedlings I need for transplant. I hope to get them in this weekend.

I have a new bed that was grass until last week. I had a guy from The Garden Project till it up, but that only broke up the sod. I've been busy double digging the new bed, which is very hard work, but so satisfying! It's wonderful to see a high, fluffy bed of soil where there used to be tough, hard dirt. And no shower is as satisfying as the one that rinses off the sweat and dirt of productive labor! Ahhh!

Once again, I'm impressed with the flexibility that homeschooling offers us. I love that our lives can reflect the rhythm of the seasons (to whatever small extent) rather than an simply an external calendar. I've tried to sneak in a lesson or two during the week, just to keep us in the habit, but most of the "sit-down" stuff is on the back burner until we get the garden in. Both kids have been helping, of course, and learning the kinds of things that just can't be taught in a classroom. They are also still in the process of re-acquainting themselves with the ability to be outside for several hours a day. :o) We'll get back to the books eventually. I don't plan on putting them away for summer for good. Our schedule will undoubtedly be even more leisurely than it was during the winter simply because there is more to do outside, and more special events to grab our attention and time. The garden will require some attention most days as well, even after the major work of May and early June is done. It feels just right to be organizing our time this way -- around our community, our food, our seasons, our bodies.

No comments: