Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Quickening

Sunday evening, Alexander needed me to sit in his room with him while he fell asleep. He's going through a phase of fear of being alone, so we find ourselves doing this often. With one of us there, he generally falls asleep quickly.

As I sat reading quietly on Sunday in Alexander's room I felt the first unmistakable stirrings of the babe within. I recognized it immediately, even though it has been at least 5 years since I last felt those first flutters of movement. Alexander was asleep by this time, but I remained for a few minutes more, cherishing the soft gentle nudges while they lasted. Historically, this was considered a sacred moment -- the moment the fetus became a person. In spite of all of our knowledge of fetal development, it still feels sacred and significant for me, as it does for most moms, I think.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

It is sacred. Completely amazing. Maybe even more so, with each pregnancy. Because you know what it means: you know what growing that baby really means. Congratulations, mama.

naturalmom said...

Thanks Jen. I think you're right that it does get more special each time. This time I know it's the last "first time" too, so that makes me cherish everything more.

Paper Dali said...

Beautiful little post. And I love that feeling ... It's a butterfly kiss, just about. I'm happy you posted, too, because I was wondering how the pregnancy was going but didn't want to make a big fuss about it at the Homeschooling Board in case, well, that you didn't want a big fuss made.

- Maria

Aliki2006 said...

Oh, I so remember those first movements--they are sacred and so precious.