Friday, July 20, 2007

Hardship

The mayor of Warren, Michigan recently complained about the possible influx of Iraqi refugees into his city. He said it would be "a hardship".

In an effort to calm public fears, Michigan Senator Carl Levin said the numbers of refugees sited by the mayor (15,000) were “misleading”. This year, the U.S. can expect to settle only about 2,000 Iraqi refugees, and in total, the State Department has agreed to absorb only 25,000 of the (so far) 2.2 million Iraqi refugees, to be spread around the country.

In case you don't have a calculator handy, 25,000 out of 2.2 million comes to 1%. Is it just me, or does that seem like a shamefully small percentage? After all, this was *our* war. Our president and his pals came up with the idea. Our congress persons voted to authorize it. Indeed most Americans were gung-ho about it in the beginning. Those who urged caution were disparaged as unpatriotic terrorist sympathizers. Five years on, it doesn’t look like we can fix what we broke in Iraq. Most Americans have come to the conclusion that we should cut our losses and hope for the least worst of all the terrible possibilities. That’s a rational decision, but it doesn’t follow that we can then wash our hands of the whole thing and go on with our lives as if nothing happened. We certainly can't wash our hands of the financial cost: we and our children will be paying the $444, 937,600,000 and counting for this war. And we should not wash our hands of the moral costs either.

Actions have consequences. Accepting refugees from the horror that we largely created may be more or less avoidable, but what our moral responsibility? Those of us not in the military have sacrificed next to nothing. We’ve only been asked to be patient and keep shopping! I don’t care to suffer hardship any more than Mr. Mayor and the good folks of Warren, but I’m seriously questioning what right I, or any American, has to be exempt from it in this case. If I really knew what it was like to suffer even a fraction of the hardship that a woman my age in Baghdad is suffering, I’d probably be offering to put her and her family up in my own house! Maybe some hardship for Americans is exactly what justice demands. It’s a bitter thought, but passing off the burden of refugees almost solely onto Iraq’s neighbors while we agree to accept only 1% seems shameful and cowardly.

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

*Applause, applause, applause*

I'm with you, 100%, Stephanie. My heart aches for the harm we have done and I am ashamed of our selfishness. *sigh*.

Paper Dali said...

Well-said. Errrr, well-written, I mean.

Jennifer said...

Hey, Stephanie, can you email me at jstecknally @ aol (dot) com? (No spaces!)

Anonymous said...

what as quakers can we do? is afsc on top of this? i have offered refuge to people in my own home in the past but now rent a tiny 2 bedroom apt with my 2 kids and my landlords had to make an exception to my lease to even allow my 2nd child. i'm scanning the web today for info - found your blog. anyway, feel free to keep in touch.

peace

anne
filligreebird@hotmail.com

Girlplustwo said...

standing up and cheering now. thank god for the just posts or i would have missed it.

Mad said...

Great post. Here in Canada, our doors always seem so restrictive when it comes to accepting refugees as well. It is troubling and, as you say, runs counter to the notion of justice.

naturalmom said...

Thanks for all the comments. Anne, I don't know what AFSC is doing, but I imagine they are active with the refugees in the Iraq region. FCNL (www.fcnl.org) might be a better place to start, since I think it would be up to our domestic politicians to facilitate settlement of refugees. FCNL asks for input from Quakers about issues they should focus on, so that's something we can do.

I know my city is getting at least a few Iraqi refugees soon. (We are known as a good location for refugees, and have good resources to help them get settled.) Quaker meetings might be able to help support settlement of refugees in our cities and towns. Even the children could get involved in such a concrete effort.

Stephanie

naturalmom said...

Thanks Jennifer (http://fakingitlive.blogspot.com/) for nominating this post for a Just Post Award.

See other July Just Posts at http://droolstreet.blogspot.com/

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your encouragement Stephanie. Thanks for reminding me of FCNL.

Anne

acf said...

hey i wonder how it is all going w refugees etc in your fair land?