Monday, July 07, 2008

Gathered in the Spirit

I spent last week in Johnstown, PA at Friends General Conference, or "Gathering", as it is known to attenders. Quakers, most from the liberal branch of the Society, gather once a year for a week of learning, fellowship, worship, spiritual exploration, and fun. This was my first Gathering, and Brianna and Ethan came along.

There is so much I could write about the activities and events we took part in: my wonderful week-long workshop on the connections between primitive and post-modern Quakerism, lead by Robin M.; the uplifting concert by Tribe 1, in which Brianna participated with other children on stage; the opportunity to meet Eileen Flanagan in person (and attend a discussion session with her on Quaker parenting) after enjoying her blog for a couple of years now. I could go on and on about how impressive the children's program was. Brianna had a great time and Ethan seemed content to spend every morning and a couple of evenings apart from me in the loving child care. (I was floored -- so much for separation anxiety!)

But what I will always remember from FGC 2008 had little to do with the event itself. As the kids and I suffered a "series of unfortunate events" during the first half of the week, we were constantly and consistently surrounded by loving support, help, and encouragement. I can't even recall all the acts of kindness; there were so, so many. Friends from my home meeting came through in a big way, so that all of us could get what we needed, even when that meant being in two different places at the same time. I was lucky and grateful that many people in our Meeting were in attendance. At the same time, Friends who were previously strangers to me (and some who remain so still), were just as cheerfully generous and helpful. One woman from the children's program even accompanied me to the emergency room with Ethan without being asked to do so. I remain forever grateful to her and to so many others. (Ethan is fine -- it wasn't a true emergency, just something that needed immediate attention. Still, stressful enough when you're in a strange town!)

Clearly, this was truly a gathering of people who are attuned to God's holy Spirit and living according to their Inward Light. Several Bible passages occurred to me as I contemplated all that had happened, and my emotions about everything (grateful, embarrassed, exhausted, joyful, contemplative...)

First is Galatians 5: 22 - 23: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Indeed. I saw every one of these fruits in action over and over again. What I wouldn't give to live in such a community every single day.

Then I thought of the
truism of St. Teresa of Avila: "God has no hands but our hands to do his work today."

And of Jesus's words in Matthew:
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’


So, as Friends were standing in for God by ministering to me, I was standing in for God simply by being in need and accepting their help in love and gratitude. We were
God to each other in those moments! I can think of nothing more profound than that.


15 comments:

Angela DeRossett said...

Sounds like a lovely time...don't you love those moments?

NorthCoastCouple said...

Very nice, Steph. I'd forgotten you were going to that, but I'm glad to hear about it. Glad to hear you and Brianna and Ethan had great experiences and memories made.

Just Me said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. I absolutely love your wording of your final paragraph. I love the idea of being God to each other. Imagine what the world would be if we all behaved this way all the time. So many of our difference, ills, and troubles would just disappear.

For me, it is so much more profound, to use your word, to focus on the "here and now" and those around you rather than focusing on personal salvation and heaven.

Out of curiosity, what is the Quaker's take on eternal life and heaven?

Glad you are home safe and sound from your trip.

Kimberly

Victoria said...

Sounds lovely for you all (minus the not-quite-an-emergency moment).

Imperfect Serenity said...

What a beautiful description of our relationship in community. Often I think people see the gift in helping others, but not the gift in allowing oneself to be helped. And of course, it was great meeting you in person, too!

Anonymous said...

There are no more powerful or inspirational sermons preached than the ones that take place in our lives every day, by other people. Why does it seem so hard for us to live with and treat each other as God intended? I'm glad there were people around you and the kids who were willing to let God use them in your lives. It sounds like your experiences were quite and adventure, and I can't wait to hear more about it. I checked out Eileen F's blog and I bet you did enjoy the discussion with her.

I hope you got pics of Brianna and Ethan during the week. Dad and I will try to call today, now that we are back toward more populated areas. I must say that being totally without our cell phone and internet for a few days was pretty relaxing :-)

Love to you all and talk to you soon.

Mom

Imperfect Serenity said...

Oh, and all that fun at Gathering prompted me to visit my long-neglected blogroll, to which you have been added.

Robin M. said...

What a joy to meet you and your family. I hope we'll meet again!

Bill Samuel said...

I haven't attended the Gathering in decades, and am unlikely to since I'm of a different faith understanding than most who come, but it has always had a genuine community aspect.

The last time I attended, one afternoon there was a sudden thunderstorm while I was walking on campus. Within a minute, there was a child holding onto each one of my hands. I had never seen them before, but clearly they assumed (correctly) that any adult in the Gathering was their friend and would help them. So your experience of community in your time of need is not at all surprising to me.

naturalmom said...

Thanks everyone! Kimberly, I'll address your question in a separate post. It's not a short answer!

Jeanne said...

I'm by your experience of Gathering.

I drove golf carts during Gathering and because I had to wait for a 6 pm train on Saturday, I ended up driving them into the early afternoon, helping folks get to their cars and to the LLC.

One woman had a blue dot on her name tag (indicating that she was a first-time attender) told me, when I asked how her first Gathering was, that she'd had an awful time around the children's program and that she'd never come back. I felt awful, and wished I could have done something about it.

I just hope people offered her as much love and care as you seemed to have gotten.

Bill, I'm sorry to hear that you'd stay away because of perceived faith differences. One of the best conversations I had on campus was one with people of different beliefs around Quakerism and the Bible, including a very interesting conversation about the differences between Hicksite and Gurneyite Friends.

The Gathering community would only be enriched by your presence.

Blessings,

Jeanne

Jeanne said...

The first sentence should say:

"I'm cheered by your experience at Gathering."

naturalmom said...

Oh Jeanne, I'm so sorry to hear that someone had such a bad experience. :o( If I could have sent some help her way, I would have! I hope that whatever problems she experienced were brought to someone's attention and taken seriously.

Thank you for your service with the golf carts! I watched them go by longingly a couple of times as I pushed my stroller loaded with baby gear up those hills, lol! (Actually, I valued the walking -- it forced me to get some much-needed exercise!)

Bill, I second Jeanne's comment about the value of diverse faith outlooks. But depending on where you are now, I can understand how it might be uncomfortable for *you* to be in a position of having to explain and/or defend your experience all week long. Thanks for your comment and for being a friendly hand for those children. :o)

Stephanie

amers said...

steph,
it sounds like a wonderful week...thank you for sharing about it.
i hope all is ok with ethan!

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)