Sunday, July 20, 2008

Quakers and the Afterlife

In the comments under "Gathered in the Spirit", Kimberly (Ma) asked about the Quaker conception of Heaven and the afterlife. I decided to make the answer (such as it is) a separate post, so that I can easily link to resources for anyone interested. I'm no expert in the subject, and I've tried to frame my comments in a way that avoids making blanket statements about what any particular sect of Friends believe. Quakers are notorious for having a wide variety of takes on many issues of theology. Additional input from Friends in the comments is welcome.

First of all, there are several branches of Quakers, so it's hard to say what "Quakers" believe. Evangelical Friends would probably have beliefs about heaven, hell and salvation that are very similar to other evangelicals in the U.S. Among FGC (Friends General Conference) Friends (theologically liberal) and FUM (Friends United Meeting) Friends (with a theology somewhere in between -- "mainstream"?), I think there is a wide range of belief.

My Meeting is affiliated with FGC, and I suspect that few FGC Friends take a literal view of the Biblical descriptions of heaven and hell. Some would probably describe themselves as agnostic on the issue, not really knowing what the afterlife holds, but having some sense that there will be "something more" -- a union with God/Spirit/The Universe, or something similar. Those with a more traditional view of God and the afterlife probably believe something akin to the argument put forward by Phillip Gulley and James Mulholland, Quaker pastors in the moderate tradition. (I think they are affiliated with FUM, but I'm not sure about that.) They authored a compelling book on the subject of salvation: If Grace is True: Why God Will Save Every Person. Their view of God and Christ is similar to most mainstream Christians, but as the title suggests, they reject the notion that those who do not accept salvation through Christ in this life will be thrown into a literal hell. I feel comfortable in positing that the views of most Quakers in my branch fall somewhere along a scale from the Gulley/Mulholland view to a serious doubt about the existence of any afterlife at all. (With lots of people somewhere in between.)

Quakers (of the liberal and perhaps moderate stripes) do tend to put more emphasis on the creation of God's Kingdom on Earth. Many would describe humans as being in "co-creation" with The Divine in this endeavor. In that sense, the Religious Society of Friends really is more of a "here and now" religion than many other Christian denominations in the United States.

Clear as mud? :o) Hope that helps answer Kimberly's question. If Quaker readers feel I've made a mis-characterization or have anything to add that might be helpful or interesting, please comment!

Interested in visiting a Friend's meeting? Find one here.

7 comments:

Robin M. said...

I hold with Iris DeMent who sang
"No one knows for certain
and so it's all the same to me.
Think I'll just
Let the mystery be."

from her album "Infamous Angel"

Just Me said...

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks so much for taking the time to put that together. I never knew that Quakerism spanned such a wide berth from liberal (what I was familiar with) to more conservative. I had no idea there were evangelical Quakers.

Anyways, I enjoyed the post. I am especially interested in the book you mentioned. I read some of the excerpts and think I will see if our (small town) library has it.

The ideas of "co-creation" and creating God's Kingdom on Earth really appeal to me.

Are there any books about the more liberal stripe of Quakerism that you would recommend to a newbie?

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question, even if there is no easy answer.

Kimberly
(vishmess@yahoo.com)

Angela DeRossett said...

I think for each religion you could find the same range that you've described... what it comes down to is we'll find out someday! LOL

naturalmom said...

Kimberly, I'll post this publicly in case any other readers are curious. Here is a link for the "Inquirers" section of the Quaker Books website. The two selections that I'm familiar with are Listening to the Light by Jim Pym (about half way down the page) and the pamphlet, What is Quakerism by George Peck. Pym's book was one I found at my library and read when I was first inquiring about Friends. The little pamphlet is one I read after I began to attend, but it's really very concise and informative. (Plus the price is low!)

Oh, and if your library doesn't have a book you want, ask if they can buy it. I've had pretty good luck with that, as long as the book is sold through relatively mainstream channels. It takes a while to get your hands on it that way, but if you can wait, it's a good option.

Hope that helps. Email me if you have any questions you don't want to post here. mynaturalfamily(at)gmail.com

Stephanie

naturalmom said...

Oops, forgot the link. Here you go:

http://www.quakerbooks.org/inquirers

Just Me said...

Thanks again Stephanie. I am intrigued by the Pym book. In a write up, he is described as being a Quaker and a Buddhist. It sounds like just the perspective I'm looking for.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what's said about the emphasis being on bringing the Kingdom about on Earth, but I would like to point out a small clue in the book of Revelation - 2:7 .