Thursday, August 21, 2008

Making Ice Cream

My new Kitchen Aid mixer came with a free ice cream maker attachment, which arrived in the mail last week. I've been promising the kids ice cream, and today was the day. I adapted a recipe from this book:
The recipe was nice and simple -- milk, cream, sugar, eggs, flavoring. (They suggested a historically typical lemon, we went with mint chocolate chip.)

I was able to make it using local ingredients, except for the chocolate and perhaps the mint oil. The cream and milk came from the cow herd we own a share in. The eggs from a family in our Quaker meeting who raise a few chickens in their back yard, the sugar was Michigan beet sugar. Even the mint flavoring *could* be local -- there are big mint farms in this area.

The recipe begins with a milk/sugar/egg yolk custard. The book states, "Don't expect your custard to be yellow like Eliza Jane [Wilder]'s unless your cream comes from grass-fed Guernseys and your eggs from scratch-fed chickens."

Check. Check. The cows are Jerseys rather than Guernesys, but that's a minor detail. ;o) I don't know why the fact that my custard was bright yellow made me so happy, but it did. (What I said in this post may have something to do with it.) Can all that beta-carotine and omega-3's make up for the huge hit of saturated fat? No? Oh well...

As much as I enjoyed getting in touch with the past, there is a time and place for modern conveniences. Like whipping egg whites to a stiff peak and turning an ice cream dasher for 30 minutes.

I don't have any pictures of the finished product. We were too busy eating!

7 comments:

Angela DeRossett said...

Looks wonderful!! I bet it was delicious--nothing beats homemade ice cream!

Hawaiianatheart said...

That's wonderful! Sounds like you had alot of fun doing this with the kids. I bet they loved it. I didn't know K.A. made an ice cream attachement..... guess where I'm going from here? ; )

Jenny said...

Oh yum! I really need to get that ice cream attachment for my Kitchen Aid. Somehow I doubt that it will get as dusty as my pasta cutter attachment has lately (that one's still too much like work!).

You know, I think about you every time I go out of my way to buy local food from a local farmer. I think of you when I "sacrifice" by not eating out of season food. And I thought of you when I made fresh Gravenstein applesauce from a huge (cheap) bag of local apples last week. Thanks for your inspiration. :)

Jennifer said...

Yum! I'm not really into cooking (ok, I'm not at all into cooking, ha) but that cookbook looks like fun!

huddtoo said...

WOW did this post ever side track me. LOL

I just spent way to much time reading the Little House website, which for some reason I had no idea about. And going back to your older posts.

:)

LOVE that cookbook. Do you use it often? Any good ideas from it? How neat. I'm another LH fan though, so that adds to it.

Hope your ice cream was great!

naturalmom said...

Jenny, I'm humbled that you think of me in this context and that what I've written has made an impression on you. I think of many of my blogging friends (including you) relatively frequently in lots of situations, and it's nice to know I'm thought of too. :o)

Jen and Huddtoo, I got that cookbook when I was about 12! I think it is still in print, though undoubtedly in a more recent edition. After I left home, it sat in a box at my parents house for a couple of decades. About a year and a half ago my dad found it and gave it back to me. I *have* used it a number of times, though not all of the recipes are very practical. I'll certainly use it again for ice cream, and the kids love the snow candy recipe in the winter time. Some day I want to try the taffy recipe from Farmer Boy. (The ice cream is also from that book, as are many of the recipies. Mother Wilder set a much heavier-laden table as head of
a well-off New York farm farm family than did Ma Ingalls as a scrappy pioneer!)

amers said...

looks like great fun...and yummy too!
definitely putting me in the mood for ice cream!