Saturday, November 08, 2008

Belated Halloween and Field Trip pics

Alexander was Robin Hood. I'm particularly proud of this one. It looks good and didn't cost much. The pheasant feather in the hat was the single most expensive part! (The little feathery things around his head are in the background, not part of the costume.) He got lots of compliments on it while trick-or-treating.

Brianna's Mad Scientist hair turned out pretty good. At a Halloween party earlier in the week, we experimented with letting just be loose and puffy. It looked great, but she didn't like how it got in her face, so we went back to our original idea of using wire.

My mom took pics of Ethan in his doggie costume, but I don't have those yet. He was done and out of costume by the time we took these.

-----------------------------------------------------------

We had a chapter in history on the Netherlands, so we took a field trip to Holland. Holland, Michigan, that is. My younger sister just moved there to be an assistant editor at the newspaper there, so we got in a visit as well. Unfortunately, most of what we wanted to see was closed. We could only see the dutch windmill at a distance and the historic village was closed for the season. There were a few shops open, however, so we browsed a bit.

The wooden shoe factory was a hit, as was the candle shop where they make decorative carved candles. (The candle shop was featured on an episode of "How it's Made", in case anyone caught that.) Ethan amused himself by putting the wick of a little mushroom candle up his nostril. Very educational, no?

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Look at smiley boy, E! Awww.

One of my close friends is from Holland. She still has a lot of family back there -- I'd bet your sister will end up knowing at least some of the family. It's not that big a place. ;)

Hawaiianatheart said...

The costumes turned out great!!! I can not believe how big Ethan is getting already. WOW!

huddtoo said...

Love those eyebrows! LOL

Great costumes!

I LOVE E's hair! It's so curly..he's cute as a button!

My father is Danish (100%) and he said he wants to give me a cookbook that was given to my mother when they got married, not sure when that will be, I asked if I could borrow one of his cookbooks to look at. Your post made me think of wanting to try some of those recipes! I do make Danish pancakes frequently, our family LOVES them. It's fun to experiment with new stuff. You should look into trying some Dutch foods too. :)

Aliki2006 said...

Both those costumes are wonderful! I especially love B.'s costume. And I can't believe how big Ethan is getting!

NorthCoastCouple said...

Hey steph, just a note - I'm not an assistant editor at the Holland paper. I'm a page designer. I was an asst. editor in California. It's OK though. I would probably get my jobs confused too if I wasn't me!
—Laura

naturalmom said...

Oops! Sorry about that, Laura. You'll probably be assistant editor soon, right? ;o)

Stephanie