Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Inward Ringtone

Tonight we are having a mini-blizzard. Not much accumulation, but a couple of hours of heavy, slippery snow that makes driving difficult. I have a piece of mail that really needs to go out tonight, and if I get it to the (nearby) post office before 8 P.M., it will. I go out, brush snow off the van, and start it so that it will be warm for Ethan. The other kids are with Firmin, so the booster seat in the back remains unoccupied. I bundle Ethan into his deluxe carseat and start out. It is about 6:00 but darkness has fallen. I miss the longer days of summer.

A couple of blocks out, I see a woman pushing a stroller. There is no sidewalk on our busy road, and concern for safety has forced her well off the shoulder, onto the increasingly snow-covered grass. A single blanket covers the child in the stroller from her upper thighs to the top of her head. Only her floral cotton leggings, thin socks and slip-on shoes show. I notice that the legs are longish. The girl must be about four years old. Three if she's tall. The woman holds a cell phone against her ear with one hand as she clumsily maneuvers the stroller along the bumpy ground with the other. I imagine she is calling someone to give her a ride. I hope she is successful; it's a terrible night to be out at all, let alone with a child. I drive on for another block. I wonder how far she has to go. I wonder whom she is calling to help her, and if they will come.

The realization is slow but certain: My warm van with space for the stroller, my non-urgent errand, and my extra booster seat make me the one who is being called to help.

I turn around.

6 comments:

Barry said...

you are awesome...and you did your mitzvah (good deed) for today. and you'll sleep well knowing you helped her. kudos to you.

amers said...

oops, that was me - didn't realize i was on barry's account. (blushing)
~amy

Aliki2006 said...

Oh, how wonderful--did she take you up on it? I hope so...

naturalmom said...

Amy, it's funny, I did think of the Mitzvah thing afterword. I don't know much about the theology behind it, but I'm familiar with the concept.

Aliki, yes she did. She and the girl were cold, and she was legitimately worried about the safety of being out near traffic with the roads being so slippery. (Our road scares me even on dry, sunny days!) She had been to a little grocery down the street to get formula for her baby, who was at home with older siblings. She had tried to get a ride without luck, so had set out on foot with the little girl, presumably because she would be too hard for the siblings to care for safely. She was so clearly a concerned and tender mom. I drove her about a half mile to her home.

huddtoo said...

I'm glad you helped that mom out. It's people like you that make this world still good!!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for posting this. I've been struggling internally for months and months, wanting to be God's hands in this world; feeling like I'm not doing enough... that I'm just being a mom. I feel very strongly that being a (homeschooling) mom is exactly what I'm supposed to be doing right now, but it hasn't seemed enough. I've felt tied down and guilty. But I really felt God speaking to me through your post: when I can be God's hands, I will have the tools and opportunity available to me--- like you having the extra carseat.