Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Book Was Better

Brianna, Alexander and I recently finished reading The Spiderwick Chronicles book series together. Night after night for about 3 weeks, we reveled in the delightful descriptions of the creatures, the mystery, the suspense. Tonight we capped off our experience with a family movie night, popping popcorn and watching the film version of the story. (Sheilding Ethan's eyes where necessary.) The movie effects were excellent, the acting was superb, and the story line was clear. Judged solely on it's own merits, it was a good movie.

But, as readers everywhere might predict, it couldn't hold a candle to the books. Not only did the sequence and location of events diverge early on, but it soon became clear that some of our favorite scenes and creatures were left out. No Dwarves, no elves (!!), no Phooka. And no dragon, which meant no arial battle between the dragon and the griffin -- bummer.

As sorry as I am that the movie didn't delight us more, I also feel a smug satisfaction. I love that the experience of huddling together on bed and reading a good book aloud can still trump Hollywood, sophisticated computer effects and all.

Up next: The Tale of Despereaux, which we will start reading tonight. Will we see the movie afterword? Probably, but expectations will be low.

6 comments:

Laura K. said...

Oh, I'm sorry the movie wasn't more enjoyable, but I so agree with you! We recently had the same experience with The Tale of Desperaux, and the movie just couldn't compare with the vivid imagery of the book. The characters were better developed and had more depth in the book, too. Lovely film, but only when weighed on its own merits. I felt a wee bit smug myself because I had told dd that we really needed to read the story first, and now she understands why.

NorthCoastCouple said...

Hey, I also read the book before the movie. I know, I don't have kids, but whatever. I had the same experience as you did. It never quite measures up. But it's fun to read then watch, because then you can discuss. What was worse, better, what would you have done differently? The analysis is half the fun sometimes!

naturalmom said...

Thanks DVA, we did start The Tale of Desperaux last night and I think we are going to like it. I like the writing style already.

Hi Laura! We did have a good time discussion. The kids kept up a running commentary about the differences during the movie, partly for their dad's benefit, since he didn't read the books. Did you like the books? I really did. I like good children's literature. I find it a nice thing about having kids that I get to read the newer stuff, plus some oldies but goodies that I never got around to as a kid. :o)

huddtoo said...

I find it amazing how just black letters on a white page can be so much more powerful than a bright & colorful, moving, talking big screen can be. How does that seem possible. You'd think if the words were jumping off the page at you it would be more exciting and real.

There's just always "something missing" from the movies, they can't cram 800 pages into 2 hours. But, it makes me realize how amazing the mind is, you can read a book, feel like you are there, in the book, you can see what's going on. Well, a good book anyway. LOL

Linda and Lonny said...

I find it so wonderful that you girls love to get lost in a good story and are passing on that love to your children! Some of my favorite memories growing up involve listening to my mother read to me or being transported somewhere in my own reading.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness, just last month David finished the last book in The Spiderwick Chronicles series for our kids' bedtime reading. David does bedtime reading because he does great voices and I can't stand tales of children in danger. (I couldn't hold it together during the American Girl series when the dad was an Army doc in stationed in England circa WW2.)

Just this past weekend our children watched The Spiderwick Chronicles movie. After that, Lemony Snicket, The City of Ember, etc, our children agree books beat out movies every time.

When Simeon was ten, as a reward for reading his first long book alone, David took him to the theater to see Eragon. Simeon was shocked the film was merely an adaptation of the book to film and during one scene his indignation burst out with "That's not how it happened!" His father sunk in down in his seat as his uncle burst out laughing.

Take gentle care,
Cheryl