Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Keeping the Sabbath

I don't know when the idea of Observing the Sabbath first came to me as something I might consider doing myself. It started as such a gentle nudge that it really seemed to just flit through my head by chance. One of those ideas that, if you notice it at all, you simply smile and shake your head at such an absurdity. But Spirit knows how I operate; I have to build up tolerance to an idea before I can adopt it. Over time, the idea of Sabbath came to me more frequently, first as a novelty, then as a more serious curiosity. When I found myself feeling a lack of "right order" in my life earlier this year, my heart was groomed to hear God's advice to me -- Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.

My head was another story. I often feel pressed for time as it is. It would require compromises and re-arranging some of our routines. Firmin would *never* go for it -- he would think I'd gone 'round the bend -- and I couldn't really do it alone. The thought of even seriously discussing it with him seemed awkward. I'm already a weirder wife than he bargained for, why push the envelope this far? (I must state here that Firmin has been great about walking with me down many "alternative" paths, often enthusiastically. I don't know why I continue to think he's going to balk, but I once again, I did.) Spirit continued to nudge me with increasing force, but I resisted and rationalized and looked for some more reasonable, modern method of ordering my life. Some wonderful idea out of a magazine or someone's blog, maybe.

Then one day Firmin said (not for the first time) that he felt like we had "too much going on". He didn't put it in so many words, but after some discussion it was clear that what he was feeling was the same lack of "right order" that I felt. I tossed off the idea of Sabbath keeping as some silly idea that kept coming into my head lately: "Maybe we need to do something like that, I don't know..." He didn't respond right away and I figured that was the end of that idea. But later in the evening, he came to me and said it was exactly what we needed to do.

So we did it. This past First Day was our first observed Sabbath. We aren't following any particular set of rules, Jewish, Christian, or otherwise. We created our own definition of "work", based on what feels like work to us -- no cooking, yard work, household projects, or shopping. The only housework allowed is picking up after ourselves (and Ethan) as we go along through the day, so as not to create a stressful mess for Monday morning. Dishes were an item of concern for me. I suggested perhaps using paper plates and cups, even though that would not be the most environmentally responsible choice. I was unwilling to face a sink full of dirty dishes first thing on a Monday morning! Firmin had a better solution -- each person would be responsible for their own dishes, either washing them out after using them or putting them in the dishwasher. This worked beautifully and didn't feel like work to anyone. At the end of the day, the only soiled items were one or two serving dishes. We have also decided to forgo commercial activity, either for consumption or entertainment. I am abstaining from the computer, though I have not imposed that discipline on the kids -- not yet, anyway.

Our guide-words are Faith, Family, Friends and Community. We attend Quaker Meeting this day, and in addition, I am spending part of the day in devotional reading and/or prayer. Our time spent not working is to be spent with each other or friends and extended family in peaceful and relaxed companionship rather than hurried "doing". We do allow ourselves to drive, as this facilitates our ability to worship with Friends and to spend time with loved ones outside our immediate family. I'm sure questions will come up of "should we or shouldn't we". The guide-words are designed to help us keep the Spirit of our Sabbath as we formulate the rules and exceptions.

I loved our first Sabbath. Here are some insights, observations and surprises:

- I was surprised how the prospect of keeping Sabbath on First Day made Saturday so much more intentional. I had to prepare to do no work the next day, which meant I wanted the house reasonably clean and a meal ready to eat. With this goal in mind, the process of readying our house for Sabbath was quick and pleasant. I was cleaning for the purpose of taking a day off, not because it was simply drudgery that needed to be done. I hope this effect does not wear off over time!

-- Importantly, (important enough to give this it's own bullet point), preparation for the Sabbath was a shared purpose for me and Firmin, so even as we worked independently on tasks that needed to be done, we were working together toward our goal. The children pitched in, their attitude helped by the knowledge that had a completely chore-free day ahead. This made Saturday a family day in a different but still powerful way.

- I found that refraining from work felt sooo self-indulgent! I almost feel like it can't count as a spiritual discipline because it was so luxurious! But Jesus did say that Sabbath was made for humans, not humans for the Sabbath, so I guess it's O.K. for it to be enjoyable!

- I realized how often I say "I should..." to myself. Many times throughout the day, it occurred to me that if I weren't keeping Sabbath, I would feel like I should be doing something productive. But since I couldn't, I was able to turn back to my book or crossword or game with Ethan without guilt and enjoy it that much more.

- In addition to Saturday being more intentional, my movements about the house on First Day were more intentional as well. I did far more picking up as I went along than on a typical day. I was aware of not creating a situation that would require a concentrated period of "work", which would then have to be put off until Monday. Of course I had no where to run off to and no other pressing task to take priority, but I'm hoping the habit of seeing small needs and meeting them in the moment is one that takes hold in the rest of my week.

- I jumped up from my seat far less often.

- My mind felt more calm than usual.

- We were all very nice to each other. Not that we are usually mean, but we were exceptionally nice on First Day.

- I now feel compelled to call Sunday "First Day" as a symbolic way to make my Sabbath practice tie in with my Quaker practice.*

- BIG surprise and too perfect to be coincidence: On Saturday, I had lunch with an old friend from high school, whom I have only recently reconnected with. I mentioned that we were going to begin observing the Sabbath that weekend. She looked at me with wide eyes and said that she and her husband had recently decided to do so as well. Prior to this, I knew *no one* personally who keeps the Sabbath, so this just seemed like Divine validation. Perhaps it seemed so for her too.

We are early in this journey, needless to say. I fully expect to learn many new things as we go along, and I expect there will be situations that challenge our commitment. Perhaps, after a season, we will be led to let the practice go. In any case, I am grateful that I listened (eventually) to this leading and give the thanks to Spirit. After all, it was God's idea, not mine!



*Early Quakers rejected Sabbath-keeping as practiced by the church in England. They felt that everyday life could be lived as sacred if one attended to The Light Within on a daily basis. Sounds good in theory, but personally, I think Sabbath keeping may have been a precious, but abused little baby that got thrown out with the bath water.

Here is a talk given at Pacific Yearly Meeting in 2006 that I found insightful. Here is an article I found just this evening that addresses some of the practical concerns about keeping the Sabbath in our modern world.

12 comments:

Jan Lyn said...

Very thought provoking Stephanie. I too, understand that the early Quakers rejected this, but do feel we need time such as the Sabbath in our lives to create margin for ourselves as humans and for focus on the Holy Spirit more. I know as a homeschool family, a day off from work and routine is beneficial. Keep us posted how it goes; I'm quite interested.

Captainwow said...

So wonderfully written. I'm glad to hear it went "well" and that you had a First Day that was good for you and your family!

Robin M. said...

I think the important thing is to experiment with which practices bring us closer to God and the people around us and the Earth, and which ones create barriers. If keeping the Sabbath brings you strength and Light, then it's a worthy experiment, I'd say.

R said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
R said...

Great post. I have been doing the same for about a year or so. I heard a Rabbi on NPR explaining what keeping the Sabbath meant to him. In Quakerspeak, he spoke to my condition. I have been mindful about minimizing my First Day activities ever since. I find it to be a very helpful discipline. Outside of going to Meeting I will often write, play the guitar, or pick tomatoes. But these are contemplative activities for me.
Thank you for this

Rich in Brooklyn said...

Having this kind of discipline for one day of the week does sound like it could be spiritually helpful, but I wonder why you call it "Sabbath" keeping. That would seem to imply keeping the sabbath ovservance laws of the Hebrew scriptures, which it doesn't sound like you're either doing or intending to do. Also, if it is "Sabbath" you're observing, why do it on Sunday rather than Saturday?
I believe some 19th century Quaker books of discipline recommended reserving first day for religious duties only, but I'm not sure exactly why. I don't think we Friends have exactly thought through the concept of the "Sabbath". The "every day should be holy" train of thought does not seem to have been what early Quakers had in mind, despite widespread belief among modern Quakers that it was. I do remember reading someone who maintained that "Christ is our Sabbath" and that because of Christ we permanently rest from our own works, as opposed to outwardly resting from physical activity on one day per week.

naturalmom said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm interested to learn of other people, especially Friends, who either do this or are considering it.

Rich, I guess I call it Sabbath keeping because people more or less know what I'm talking about when I say that. Indeed, I mean it more in the Christian tradition than in the Jewish tradition. Christians do have a tradition -- mostly gone by the wayside now -- of refraining from work and focusing on spiritual pursuits on Sunday and calling that "The Sabbath". I don't know all the historical details of why Sabbath shifted from Saturday to Sunday, but I believe it was the Romans' doing. :o) As you know, a few Christian groups still hold that it should be Saturday -- Seventh Day Adventists being the most well known. For me, I adhere to the *concept* of Sabbath, rather than the definition. Some people might decide to take Fridays as a day of rest if that is their day off. They may choose to call that their "Sabbath Day". First Day works best for us because my husband has that day off work and that is the day we attend Meeting for Worship.

"I do remember reading someone who maintained that "Christ is our Sabbath" and that because of Christ we permanently rest from our own works, as opposed to outwardly resting from physical activity on one day per week."

I bet it was a *man* who maintained that! ;o) Thanks for your thought-provoking comments!

Stephanie

naturalmom said...

Correction: The above comment should read, "I adhere to the *concept* of the Sabbath rather than its definition as day of the week."

Just Me said...

I very much enjoyed your post. I am a bit behind you, but I have also been considering keeping the Sabbath. Until now I haven't known anyone else who does this. I look forward to hearing more from you on your Sabbath journey and I'll use you as inspiration to get me out of my "reason and rationalization" rut that is keeping me from taking the leap. Thanks for the post.

Kimberly

Jennifer said...

I enjoyed this post, Stephanie, and this is something we have done in the past, but have gotten away from. Thanks for the reminder. We just called it family day, but it was on First Day, and we had the same approach to it that you seem to have.

Tom Smith said...

I remember, 50 or so years ago, that our family kept Sunday as a "day of rest" and as a time for "escape from matters of the world." I also remember the use of SONday as a distinction between worship of the Sun and celebration of the eternal presence of the Son.

My father, a minister and missionary in FUM yearly meetings, insisted he did not consider that he "worked" on Sunday but shared in worship. He was concerned with a "modern" adaptation of Monday as the pastor's "day off" after working in getting ready for Sunday and then working on Sunday. It was "always" a day that we could count on Dad being withe the family doing family things, playing Monopoly, often being reminded it was developed by a Quaker, playing Rook (never "face cards"), etc. I don't remember much reference to the Sabbath in practice but rather resting one day of the week for physical, mental, and spiritual renewal.

Just some memories that "speak to my condition" on views of the "Sabbath."

He was raised on a farm with dairy cows and egg layers, thus certain activities were required for the comfort and caring for the farm animals.

Unknown said...

Hello Stephanie,

I found your blog by searching for "Quaker Sabbath". I am reading the book "Bury the Chains" by Adam Hochschild about the abolition of the Slave Trade in England. In his book he speaks about how Quakers were the first to work toward an end to the Slave Trade. He also talks a little about Quaker beliefs at that time. I was very impressed with what Quakers believed and taught so I wanted to know more as some of the beliefs in particular seem like something that I should be following.

I know your post is from 2009, I wonder if you have continued with your "Sabbath" experiment?

My ancestors have been keeping the seventh-day Sabbath since colporteur visited their farm in South Dakota in the 1880s.

I was particularly struck when you said in your post that you don't know *anyone* that keeps the Sabbath. There are about 20 million Seventh-day Adventists in the world who keep the Sabbath on Saturday. I hope you get a chance to get to know some of us just as I would like to get to knows some Quakers.