Tuesday, January 05, 2010

The Fruit Bowl



Do people still have fruit bowls? Thanks to my husband, we do! A few weeks ago, he pulled most of the fruit from the fridge, stuck it in my big stainless steel mixing bowl and set the bowl on the dining table. Then he proceeded to leave little notes for us some mornings when he observed specimens going soft: "Time to eat the mango!" or "Time to eat the pears!" Lo and behold, we are eating more fruit! Above is our bowl after yesterday's trip to Horrocks. There are several varieties of apples, pears, avocados, mangos and kiwi fruit. Bananas are elsewhere so that they don't get bruised, and grapes stay in the fridge so Ethan doesn't help himself to a choking hazzard. Here he is hefting a blurry mango. :o)

The only downside? Having to dump all the fruit on the table when I need the mixing bowl for, ya know, mixing stuff. Otherwise, I highly recommend reviving the fruit bowl, at least for the winter months.

5 comments:

Jan Lyn said...

Oh, I just love that photo of Ethan. We have a fruit bowl as well--actually it is an old fashioned collander at times and other times we use a huge terra-cotta flower pot my girls painted together. I should fill it up more. Good reminder...

huddtoo said...

I have a fruit bowl, but I only put bananas in it. I don't like warm fruit, I love everything out of the fridge... so there are times when something has to be thrown out because it's "out of site, out of mind". :(

But, I love the fruit bowl concept.

Time to look for a cool bowl so you can have your mixing bowl back! :)

Just Me said...

Love the picture. We, too, have a fruit bowl. Grapes and berries are about the only fruit we keep in the refrigerator. You've got me thinking though - the fruit flies so fast out our bowl that I might need to start thinking about putting some in the refrigerator.:)

Jenny said...

We have a fruit bowl too! Mine is a wire thingamajig that has no other purpose than to hold fruit so there's no dumping need. Unfortunately, Linus does a lot of dumping all on his own! I will frequently find little bites out of random pieces of fruit. Oh well.

PrJoolie said...

I love Horrocks! Muskegon doesn't have anything like it. When I visit my sister in DeWitt, I often find an excuse to stop and shop at Horrocks. (I'm a friend of your friend Su.)