Monday, December 14, 2009

Best Bible Analogy Ever

I found this gem in the current issue of Friends Journal:

"I have heard [it said] that the Bible is a crutch. A crutch provides support to a broken individual, and since the Bible does so admirably, there is no problem with the assertion. However, it is appalling to remove a crutch from someone who is using it, and it is alarming to beat someone over the head with our own crutch. ...[P]lease avoid violence to or with this venerable text."
(From "Addressing the Differences Among Friends" by Howie Baker, Friends Journal, Dec. 2009)

Well said, Friend Howie.

3 comments:

Jan Lyn said...

I read that too....agreed.
Jan Lyn

Just Me said...

I like that. It's both humorous and thought provoking. I admire folks who can choose words that really crystallize an idea or paint a picture. In this case he's done both. I am such a rambler. Reading something like this just makes me say "Aha! Yes what he said."

Tonya Gunn said...

I like that too. It was very thoughtful.

It is on my wish list to subscribe to the Journal.

Thank you for sharing about your source of milk. It is wonderful to be connected to our food sources.

Warm wishes,
Tonya