Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Conservative in Me

Every once in a while I pick up a book that resonates so strongly that it makes me comment out loud -- "Yes!" "That's exactly right" "Absolutely!" -- while I am reading it. (I can only hope to be either alone or amongst understanding family members when it happens.) I just finished such a book. Given that it's written by a conservative journalist who has worked for the National Review, the book has had a particularly profound effect on me. It challenged some of my assumptions about conservatives, caused me to reconsider how best to describe myself politically, and gave me hope for some common ground between at least some liberals and conservatives in this grossly polarized era. It also spawned about 20 blog post ideas, lol! I'll dole out a few of them here and there over the next couple of months.

I must give the full title, long as it is, so that you can understand why I picked it up in the first place. It is Crunchy Cons: How Birkenstocked Burkeans, gun loving organic gardeners, evangelical free-range farmers, hip homeschooling mamas, right-wing nature lovers, and their diverse tribe of countercultural conservatives plan to save America (or at least the Republican Party) by Rod Dreher. Those of you who know me know that I wear Birkenstocks, garden organically, eat locally-raised, free-range meat, homeschool my kids, and love nature. However, I have not read Burke, do not love guns, am religious but not evangelical, am sadly lacking much "hip" other than the ones above my thighs, am decidedly NOT right-wing, and can count on one hand the number of Republicans I've voted for. I just *had* to read this book!

The most important thing Crunchy Cons did for me was to smash some preconceptions I had about conservatives, and make me re-consider my own self-identification as a liberal. Dreher is the kind of Republican that I didn't know existed: one who would willingly restrain the excesses of free-market capitalism in the name of preserving authentic communities, strengthening families, and protecting the environment. (That I didn't know of the existence of folks like him is in itself is an indictment of our over-polarized political environment. Where are their voices in the mainstream media and the Republican party?) He believes passionately that our current state of affairs -- with ever-increasing consumption of material goods and unfettered pursuit of personal pleasure and gain -- is not only spiritually culturally impoverishing, but also economically unsustainable. I have felt this for a long time now, and Dreher captures how discouraging and lonely such a counter-cultural stance can be at times. Yet he also captures the joy and fulfillment that come from living according to one's deepest held beliefs.

I came to see that my core values -- which mesh pretty well with Dreher's -- really *are* best described as "conservative". I want to conserve values and ways of life that are rapidly disappearing: interdependent communities, strong family bonds, unstructured leisure time (and innocence) for kids, "real" food grown or raised the way nature/God intended, local economies, human scale development, the wise use and preservation of natural spaces, and more. Dreher is perplexed that some of the political policies intended to further these kinds of goals have become nearly the sole province of Democrats and are thus now considered "liberal" issues. Because of that, I think Dreher's sense of alienation from the Right is stronger than my sense of standing on the outskirts of the Left. (Check out the Crunchy Con manifesto. I count 7 out of 10 points that I definitely agree with and at least 2 that I mostly agree with. I know quite a few of my crunchy liberal friends that would agree with many of the points as well. It's easy to see why poor Rod gets blasted by many of his fellow Republicans. Kudos to him for having the courage to keep speaking out!) Finding so much in common with a self-described conservative made me more keenly aware of the ways in which I am different from many mainstream liberals, particularly in the areas of education, media consumption, and consumerism. (There being really no difference in consumerism between mainstream liberals and conservatives. Shopping is fast becoming the national pastime.)

Before reading this book, if the only thing I knew about Rod Dreher was that he voted Republican and wrote for the National Review, my initial impression would have been of a no-holds-barred capitalist who wanted to return to the oppressive-to-women-and-minorities 1950's. I know that's a stereotype, but I must admit that it's exactly what springs to mind when I don't know anything else about a person besides their conservatism. So what do conservatives think when I describe myself as a liberal? Someone who would happily regulate every aspect of life except sex and the media? Perhaps! Maybe nuance, though awkward and time-consuming, is called for if there is to be a meaningful movement of all of us crunchies (Left and Right) to "save America". I don't care as much about the Republican party. ;o)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

You have written about Consumerism and Environmental Crisis. In this context I want to post a part from my article which examines the impact of Speed, Overstimulation, Consumerism and Industrialization on our Minds and Environment. Please read.

Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment.

The fast-paced, consumerist lifestyle of Industrial Society is causing exponential rise in psychological problems besides destroying the environment. All issues are interlinked. Our Minds cannot be peaceful when attention-spans are down to nanoseconds, microseconds and milliseconds. Our Minds cannot be peaceful if we destroy Nature.

The link between Mind and Social / Environmental-Issues.

Subject : In a fast society slow emotions become extinct.
Subject : A thinking mind cannot feel.
Subject : Scientific/ Industrial/ Financial thinking destroys the planet.
Subject : Environment can never be saved as long as cities exist.

Emotion is what we experience during gaps in our thinking.

If there are no gaps there is no emotion.

Today people are thinking all the time and are mistaking thought (words/ language) for emotion.

When society switches-over from physical work (agriculture) to mental work (scientific/ industrial/ financial/ fast visuals/ fast words ) the speed of thinking keeps on accelerating and the gaps between thinking go on decreasing.

There comes a time when there are almost no gaps.

People become incapable of experiencing/ tolerating gaps.

Emotion ends.

Man becomes machine.


A society that speeds up mentally experiences every mental slowing-down as Depression / Anxiety.

A ( travelling )society that speeds up physically experiences every physical slowing-down as Depression / Anxiety.

A society that entertains itself daily experiences every non-entertaining moment as Depression / Anxiety.


Fast visuals/ words make slow emotions extinct.

Scientific/ Industrial/ Financial thinking destroys emotional circuits.

A fast (large) society cannot feel pain / remorse / empathy.

A fast (large) society will always be cruel to Animals/ Trees/ Air/ Water/ Land and to Itself.

To read the complete article please follow any of these links :
PlanetSave
FreeInfoSociety
ePhilosopher
Corrupt

sushil_yadav

Jennifer said...

Interesting. It has always baffled me that the Republican party, as the "conservative" and "hands off" party is so cozied up to big business and government regulation of reproductive rights and what it means to be a "family"...

From the point of view presented here, I definitely share some conservative views. When I read through the Crunchy Con Manifesto, there were about 5-6 points that I agreed with, which was indeed very interesting. But where I disagreed, I disagreed STRONGLY.

I'll put the book on my library list. It's an interesting point of view, if nothing else. Thanks for the review!

naturalmom said...

Hey Jen, thanks for commenting. The book has really given me tons of food for thought. So much so that was really hard to limit what I wrote about in this post. If you read it, I hope it does the same for you -- even if you disagree with it more than I did.

One thing maybe I should have made clear is that while I agree with many of the statements in the Crunchy Con Manifesto, Dreher and I might have some differences in exactly what we mean by some of them. For example, the point about preserving the family: I would include gay and lesbian headed households in that definition. Dreher never states explicitly that he would not, so I don't want to put words in his mouth, but as an orthodox Catholic, I wouldn't be surprised if he excluded them from his definition of "family". Nevertheless, I came away with a strong sense that people like him and people like me would have plenty of common ground to start a respectful and even friendly conversation. Wouldn't *that* be a breath of fresh air in the current political climate!

Stephanie

Just Me said...

Hi Stephanie,

I enjoyed this post. I have been wondering about this book myself. I'm going to have to give it a read.

I did check out the manifesto and I do find myself agreeing with many of them. I am sure the differences are in the details, nuances, and meanings of the words. As you have also stated, my definition of "family" would certainly be broader than what he may have in mind in the manifesto.

I have always described myself as liberal in thought and outlook and conservative in my personal actions. What I mean is, I probably behave more like a conservative in many respects of my personal life, but I also do not believe in pushing my beliefs and morals onto anyone else (as if you could).

You have found an important distinction for me with your use of the word "mainstream". I have always wondered why I prefer this certain park day that is almost entirely made up of "fundies" over other park days that are made up of liberals and unschoolers. I see now that the latter groups are made up of what you describe as "mainstream liberals". They, in general, are very much into the media and consuming whereas the group with the conservatives are not. I do find a lot more in common with the conservative moms in terms of parenting, family, and diet even though I do vehemently disagree with many of them on social issues and religion.

I can't wait to read more of your posts on this topic.

Kimberly

naturalmom said...

"I have always described myself as liberal in thought and outlook and conservative in my personal actions. What I mean is, I probably behave more like a conservative in many respects of my personal life, but I also do not believe in pushing my beliefs and morals onto anyone else (as if you could)."

I feel this way to a large degree as well, Kimberly. I bet you would like this book. Not that you'll agree with the author on everything (I certainly don't!), but the depth and breadth of the areas of agreement *for me* were eye-opening. Those "fundie" ladies at your park day would probably like it too -- they might in fact BE crunchy cons! ;o)

Stephanie

Just Me said...

Hi Stephanie,

I thought I'd share a weird coincidence. I have just started Crunchy Cons. I was telling my husband how well this book follows on the heals of a book I just finished. It wasn't five minutes later into my reading that Rod Dreher metions that book. You may remeber him discussing "Better Off" by Eric Brende. Anyways that was the book I was reading when I read your post "The Conservative in Me" and was intriqued enough to check out "Crunchy Cons". It came full circle on page 35 when Rod Dreher spent about 5 pages discussing Eric Brende and his book "Better Off" which documents Eric and his wife's 18 month experience of living in an Anabaptist community without electricity, running water, or motors. I really enjoyed that book as well.

Kimberly