Sunday, June 10, 2007

Strawberry Jam

This Wednesday is strawberry jam day at our house. I was informed by one of the farmers at our local farmer's market that he would have strawberries "by the truck load" this week. The kids will be going to a friend's house on Wednesday so that I can get the strawberries and make jam from them on the same day.

You're probably thinking, "Nice, but so what? Lots of people make jam."

The thing is, we haven't had any jam at all for about 2 1/2 months now, so it feels like a treat to us. We are not full-fledged localvores -- I'm not ready to give up bananas, for one thing -- but we're trying to eat that way more frequently, especially with foods that are grown in our area. So in March, when we ran out of the jam I made last summer, Firmin and I agreed that we would simply wait until jam-making fruit was in season again instead of buying jam at the store. We had a plentiful supply of local raw honey to eat on our toast and to be a sweetening addition to a peanut butter sandwich. (No, peanuts are not grown in Michigan, but this isn't really about pure-ism. Read on.) The final deciding factor was the relatively high cost of jams which contain neither high fructose corn syrup nor artificial food coloring. We would wait.

What I've discovered to my own surprise and delight, is that rather than missing the jam (though we have at times), the primary experience has been one of joyful anticipation and gratitude. I'm thankful for these strawberries in a way I never have been before. I'm actually looking forward to the long afternoon of processing and canning the jam. The kids are thrilled at the prospect of an honest to goodness PB & J sandwich! We have stopped taking jam for granted. It's a very small thing really, but small things can teach big lessons.

Next, I'm thinking about apples. Michigan is second only to Washington state in apple production, and Michigan apples are available year-round. For organic apples, however, the Michigan supply is about dried up. My choice now is pretty much Chilean organic apples or Michigan conventionally grown apples. Hmmm... It won't be long before the early varieties are ready -- mid-August I think. Can we wait? If we do, how good will that first bite of a crisp fresh-from-the-tree apple taste?

This waiting for the season is quickly becoming a lost experience. Previous generations were forced to wait. Waiting today requires discipline, which is much tougher and sometimes hard to justify. I can testify from personal experience that it can feel downright silly to walk by food that you want when it's right there in front of you, especially if your cart already contains other items that are not local or in season. (I buy broccoli year-round, for instance, and plan continue to do so -- it's one of the few green veggies the whole family likes!) Yet walk right by I do, and with increasing frequency. There are plenty of good reasons to eat locally and in season whenever possible, but one that's often overlooked is the pure pleasure of delayed gratification. Still skeptical? Just ask your grandma how good blueberries used to taste in July when she was a girl. Note her big smile...

6 comments:

Jenny said...

You've definitely given me something to think about. I buy local products when I have the choice, but I never even considered *not* buying when local wasn't available. I also can't imagine making jams from local fruit... that seems like it would be more expensive here, but I also haven't done much exploring of the u-pick farms. Like I said, you've given me a lot to think about.

Stacey said...

I'm right there with Jenny. I buy local as much as I can, but I generally buy the same fruits and veggies year-round. I'm ashamed to admit that I never considered only eating blueberries in the summer, when they're in season. We eat more of them in the summer (right now- yum), but I still buy them year-round. Thanks for the challenge.
Oh, by the way, I found your blog from MDC a while ago.

Paper Dali said...

Hmm, interesting post. It really has got me thinking. And I can really understand your line of thinking.

I'd love to make jam. Is it really hard? We've got tons of nice lovely strawberries from local farms all over the place. I love them and get sad when they are out of season. I never buy strawberries unless they are in season because they don't taste so well at the supermarket and it kills me that they charge an arm and a leg for very icky blah strawberries. I'd rather wait for the season to kick in. And I always wish I could make the season last. Now, I'm thinking strawberry jam!

OK, can you give links or something on how to do this? Pretty please?

naturalmom said...

Hi ladies! Making jam is really very easy, though somewhat time consuming. (Stacey, blueberry jam is even easier than strawberry because you don't have to cut off all those caps!) If you have young children, it's probably best to have another adult at home who can help you watch them. (Or send them to Grandma's or a friend's house.) There are parts of the process where you really can't be called away from the kitchen.

I'm doing several batches, so I'm planning on spending the entire afternoon and into the evening. (I'll throw something in the crock pot for dinner so I don't have to cook.)

All you need as far as equipment is a boiling water canner (aka water-bath canner), which you may be able to borrow from someone. (Heck, you can make freezer jam if you want, and you won't even need the canner! Freezer jam doesn't keep as long though, and requires freezer space.) You'll need pectin, which is found with the canning equipment at the grocery store. I recommend Ball Fruit Jell No Sugar Needed Pectin. With that brand of pectin you can decide for yourself the amount of sugar you want to use, or use fruit juice as sweetener. (Not true for Sure-Jell Low or No Sugar Needed pectin.)

When you use a comercial pectin (such as Ball) you should follow the directions inside the package. They have easy to follow full directions and recipies for jam made from several different types of fruit.

Like I said, it's easy in that there are few ingredients, and the directions are straight-forward, but it *does* make a bit of a mess and take time. Still, nothing beats the taste of your own homemade jam in February! They make great Holiday gifts too. Several of our jars go out at Christmas to friends and family.

Stephanie

Aliki2006 said...

I'm so thankful you posted about making jam! this is something I've wanted to try and Liam is really interested in trying this at home.

Thanks!

huddtoo said...

Man, I do SOOOO miss my grandmother's homemade grape jam. It was YUMMY! I've never tried making it. Would love to though, she had a big grape vine and so used her OWN grown grapes to make her OWN jam. Stephanie, you are right, it makes it that little extra special!

I would think making any berry jam would be costly though. Is it me or do I pay a fortune for berries no matter where I buy them? It's like $3-$4 a pound around here. I can walk up my MIL's street and get big fresh black berries though, for free. Now, that is yummy jam!! ;)