Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Finished product

Since the jam post was so popular, I thought I'd share some pics of the results!

It took me almost exactly 3 hours to do 4 batches -- less time than I anticipated. I guess after doing this a few times, I'm getting more efficient! I got the kitchen totally prepped before going to get the berries: canner out and filled, counters clear, jars washed, etc. So if you count that part, maybe it would be closer to 4 hours. Still not bad. You'll notice that the fruit floats to the top of the syrup. No biggie -- we just stir it when we open it, but if anyone knows how to avoid this, I'd be interested. Even my grandma didn't know, and she's done her share of jam-making.

A couple of readers asked about cost. I purchased 8 quarts of strawberries (one flat, or about 16 lbs.) for $20. Buying direct from the grower at the farmers' market is definitely the way to go! I already owned the jars and ring parts of the lids, so no additional cost there. The flat part of the lid is not re-usable, so I had to buy those: $1.50. Pectin came to $6.00, and I estimated the cost of the sugar used to be about $0.50. (I used store brand sugar, and only about 3 1/2 cups total.) Grand total cost = $28.00

I processed the equivalent of 26 eight ounce jars. (6 twelve oz. jars and 17 eight oz. jars) That comes out to $1.07 per 8 oz. jar. I *might* be able to buy the very cheapest store brand for less -- I don't know, as I haven't priced them out. But since I would normally be buying brands with low sugar and no artificial colors, it's a decent savings. (That's not even considering the taste factor, which is a biggie.) I save even more when I use them as gifts. A jar of homemade jam and a homemade loaf of bread make a wonderful (and usually highly appreciated) gift for a neighbor or casual friend, even though the total "value" might only be about $2. Saving money isn't the point in that case; what you are really giving is time and care. Nevertheless, it's a welcome by-product when you're on a tight holiday budget.

Can't wait to break one open tomorrow!

Oh, and here's a tip for anyone who decides to try this: consider keeping your jars warm in the oven (set at about 200 degrees) rather than in simmering water on the stove as most recipes instruct you to do. Your stove already has the huge canner going, plus the 6 - 8 quart pot for cooking the jam, plus maybe a tea kettle of hot water to add to the canner as needed. I don't know about your stove, but mine has no room for an additional huge stockpot filled with jars! Putting them in the oven saved hassle and space -- I just took the hot jars out of the oven as I needed them. I kept the lids in a pot of hot water in the oven as well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, Steph! I can't wait to get *my* gift :-) I haven't made jam for years, though I'm sure you remember when I did. I really should do it again, since your dad is so appreciative of the effort. You have inspired me to think about jam and eating more locally. There is NO substitute for Michigan strawberries in season, and now is the time to eat your fill. The rest of the year they will be large, pithy, tasteless, and expensive.

Love you,
Mom

Jenny said...

Mmmmm, that looks good. We're going to a u-pick farm tomorrow. I'm going to have to see how much they charge. (We're going with the homeschool group and the kids get to pick and eat as much as they want but they charge extra if we want to pick for jam.)

NorthCoastCouple said...

I'm bummed that I probably won't get any of that jam...I really enjoyed the jam you gave me at Christmas a couple of years ago.

About the local fruit - I was hoping that in California that produce would be less expensive since so much of it is grown in-state. But it definitly isn't the case unfortunatly. Although, berries are pretty cheap right now, I was just at the grocery store and noticed that.

I'll miss Michigan apples. They're the best tasting apples, in my opinion, and here in Calif. most are from Washington. They're alright, but not as sweet tasting.
Laura

Aliki2006 said...

My mouth is watering! Thanks so much for sharing the pictures...

Jennifer said...

Mmmm. Those jars look so good! I loved your thoughts below as well, about setting our tables as the seasons dictate. I do that to an extent -- watermelon just doesn't taste good or sound appealing in January -- but I haven't fully thought it all out yet in the way you have. As I am trying to buy locally more and more, I am going to have to adjust my way of thinking about the food we buy. I like your approach!

Garden Faerie said...

Hello! I came across your blog today while looking for jam information. I had to write a quick note, I read a few of your older messages also, beautifully written, and a few even made me cry. Just wanted to say thanks...I am pregnant right now with our third, and had many similar thoughts the first few months, we thought we wanted three, but wanted to wait a while (son and daughter are almost 4, and just turned 2) and were a little shocked when we found out! Was just nice to read everything I read. a lot in common. I have a neighbor who homeschools her children, she just had her 8th last month. I think about her alot, and draw strength sometimes from that. She unexpectedly lost her husband in Feb, in his early 40's. She still seems so happy all the time. Always reminds me how blessed we are. Thanks again for your blog.

naturalmom said...

Hi Ginny! Glad you found me. Congratulations on expecting #3! Thank you for your kind words about my writing. I've been meaning to get a new post up, but it's been hard to find the time and the inspiration at the same time this past week! I'll get one up soon.

I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor loosing her husband. I hope her happy attitude is real and not a mask she feels she needs to present to the world. It must be very difficult for her no matter what her personality, kwim? I can't imagine being in her shoes. I'll say a little prayer for her.

Stephanie