Friday, September 28, 2007

The Birth Story

I woke in the early morning on Friday feeling kind of nauseous and not-so-good all the way around. Slept a little more, then once I was up for the day, felt O.K. I kept having contractions on and off throughout the day, and I definitely felt like something was going to happen soon -- either that night or the next day. I began to get excited! (Both Brianna and Alexander were induced, so it was fun experiencing the on-set of labor naturally.)

At about 3 pm I lost my mucus plug -- something I've never experienced so dramatically before! The contractions started to get more frequent and noticeable after that, so I started calling people -- Firmin, my mom, the midwife -- to let them know that things were moving along. By 7 PM, we were on our way to the birth center. Contractions slowed down on the way there, which is normal. I got settled in at the BC, listened to one of my hypnosis tapes, then walked around to get things moving again. That did the trick and my labor started picking up nicely.


Brianna and Alexander and my parents came to the birth center with us and stayed the entire time. They watched movies and camped out in sleeping bags in the community room.

I was able to handle the intensifying contractions pretty well with my hypnosis until what was likely the "transition" phase. In contrast to Alexander's birth, where I had my water broken at 5 cm, then dilated to 10 in about 20 minutes, these contractions were spaced a little farther apart. I had a bit of a break between each one in which I was able to relax, but I was starting to have a hard time with the contractions themselves. I was in the birthing tub at this point which felt good, but I think it might have made it harder for me to get comfortable. I remember saying at one point, "This is where I ask for the epidural!" ;o) I was still hours away from giving birth as it turned out. I don't think I would have accomplished a natural childbirth in the hospital this time around with the promise of pain relief just a request away since it took so long. Although it's possible that they would have made me wait since I don't think I said that until I was almost fully dilated. I felt like pushing soon after. (They don't do internal checks for dilation at the birth center unless the mom requests it or there's a medical reason, so I don't know what my dilation was at any given point.)

Apparently, pushing out babies is something I *can* do, but not well. I ultimately needed much more coaching in that phase than they generally give. Turns out I was pushing rather "ineffectually" for quite a while before midwife S. and I decided that she'd better take a stronger hand. I remember that the same thing happened with Alexander, though I got more immediate coaching and the contractions were much closer together, so I only had to push for about a half-hour. Ethan took his sweet time. My contractions were not so closely spaced. I had time to rest between pushes, but it wasn't much relief. I found it SO hard to relax between them.

Once she took more charge, S. had me get out of the water and onto the bed on my side. Relaxing was easier there and she was able to see that I was pulling back in after each push, which was hampering my progress. She was also able to coach me more on each push to make it more effective. More time passed, and more position changes dictated by S. Finally, after nearly 2 1/2 hours of pushing, I ended up on the birthing stool and finally (finally!) felt that ring of fire about 15 minutes later. I hated the crowning with Alexander, but this time it was *so* welcome because it meant it really was OVER! At 3:12 AM, I had my baby and all was well.
I really wish it had been easier and/or shorter, but I can't say I'm disappointed. I'm pretty proud of myself actually. I never would have thought I could endure so much pain for so long and still keep working. I admit to getting pretty discouraged during the long final phase, but I did what I had to do. The fact that billions of women have done it for millenia before me (and often in worse and more dangerous circumstances) diminishes my feelings not one bit. On the contrary, it makes me part of the tribe.

Each child's birth now takes it's place in my story:

Brianna's over-medicated, interventionist birth was nevertheless my unique first -- my induction into motherhood and all it's wonders. Although I grieved the negative aspects of that birth process, the experience changed some of my assumptions about modern "progress" and set me on a journey that has led in surprising and satisfying directions.

Alexander's birth retains it's place as my "best" birth. Although I would rather have not been in the hospital, it was quick, intense, and drug-free (beyond the cervical gel to get labor going.) After Alexander's birth, I felt euphoric -- a high like I've never felt before or since. I also felt physically great. I remember getting up from the bed I delivered in and going to the bathroom almost right away with no trouble.

Ethan's birth was a test of my strength. I was too worn out to feel the same level of euphoria as I did after Alexander's birth, and my physical recovery hasn't been as quick. (Though it's been quicker and easier than after Brianna's birth.) Nevertheless, taken as a whole, I've really enjoyed the experience of carrying and birthing him in the context of our larger family. It was great to have the other kids nearby. I'm grateful they were sleeping through my loudest cries of agony, but it was nice to be able to wake Brianna and have her come in right after he was born. (We let Alexander sleep until morning for fear he wouldn't go *back* to sleep.) Ethan's birth has given me a greater appreciation for what women have accomplished and endured and even suffered in childbirth throughout history. It's a perspective I will cherish. He's also given me new appreciation for my own powers of endurance.

Welcome to the world, little boy. Thanks for completing my birth education; I can't wait to see what else you have to teach me and all of us.

Here are a few more pictures from his first day:












13 comments:

Just Me said...

Hi Stephanie,

I was so pleased to see a new post! Thanks for sharing your birth story. It sounds like it was grueling but definitely rewarding. I'm glad to hear that you are all doing well and I hope your recovery is going well. Ethan is absolutely beautiful. Brianna and Alexander look so thrilled to finally meet Ethan. I can tell they will be wonderful big siblings.

Kimberly

Jennifer said...

Stephanie! Your birth story sounds intense and exhausting and incredible. Wow. I bow to you!

And your little boy is amazing and beautiful. Just look at your gorgeous family! The one of the three of them has me a bit teary. So sweet.

Congratulations, again!

NorthCoastCouple said...

So I guess I won't have kids after all.... j/k

vegiemama said...

Stephanie, congrats again on Ethan's arrival. I enjoyed reading your empowering birth story. Kudos to you for "doing it" the way you wanted to experience childbirth! You're right, every child's birth is unique. With their births, they are firmly etched into who we as their mothers are.

Enjoy your precious little guy, and give him lots of hugs from all of his cyber-aunties!

Anonymous said...

You have added another adorable child to our family, Sweet Daughter! You are so amazing, and remind me how wonderfully unique all children are, as are you and your sisters!

Love,
Mom/Grandma

Aliki2006 said...

I got goosebumps reading this! What an incredible person you are, and what a beautiful family! I love that last picture with the three of them.

Congratulations to all of you...

huddtoo said...

Ethan is just beautiful, Stephanie! I love the first pic you have of him. Makes me want to scoop him up and smell him!!! ;) And the one of all three is great, B & A look so happy to be big sibs!

Great story too! You sort of made me think of my own birth experiences. While I used a MW with both births, my first was more medicated and I had a harder recovery. The second I had zero meds and such an easy recovery, just like you with A! Funny how they seemed similar. I'm glad you were able to grow yourself from the different experiences you had with each child! Such a great thing.

Congratulations to you all! I hope you guys are resting well and enjoying having a new baby around! He's beautiful!

Victoria said...

What a powerful read, Steph! Congratulations and welcome baby Ethan! Your photos are darling.

But what I loved most was Mom/Grandma's "comment" here. So sweet. (My mom comments on my blog too!)

Jenny said...

Oh, he's beautiful! Brought tears to my eyes... such a beautiful thing.

Congratulations again. Enjoy your family of five. :)

Angela DeRossett said...

Congrats Supermommy!!!! I *love* the pictures of Ethan! What a beautiful birth story!!

Paper Dali said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely story and amazing pictures.

Awwwww.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, he's beautiful Stephanie!!!! You're whole family is. What blessings and what wonderful stories. Thanks for sharing :)

Ragnar said...

Congratulations Stephanie, he is such a cutie! His siblings seem proud as well.

(Jessy from birth class, posting under my secret blogger identity)