Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tuesday Takes

It has come to my attention that some readers are checking this blog regularly for baby news. No news to share yet! I'll try to get news up about the baby as soon as it happens. (Could be any day now, or could be a couple weeks from now. Patience is a virtue, right? Ha!)

I've been feeling "dry" in the blog-post ideas department lately. I'm getting pretty baby-focused now -- nesting and all that, which is pretty boring to blog about. I do have a few random thoughts, none of which rise to the level of a complete post, so I'll share some of those:



Senator John McCain was the guest in the first hour of The Diane Rhem Show today. I wouldn't vote for him because we differ too greatly on the issues, but boy is he an easy man to respect and even admire. I really enjoyed listening to him. Would that more political figures were as concerned with integrity and honesty as he seems to be. He unabashedly defends positions that he believes in -- even unpopular ones -- with rationality and civility. He also candidly admits to times when he was guilty of doing wrong, not just having "poor judgment" or some other vague phrase intended to downplay his culpability. (I thought for a moment he was actually going to use the word "sin".)

The big question is, would the American people actually elect someone with these qualities (not necessarily McCain himself), or do we insist on something more deliberately constructed for the national political scene? Is the *appearance* of folksy integrity easier to accept than the sometimes uncomfortable real thing? Real integrity generally involves humility and even changing one's position from time to time based on new information or insight. Qualities that one's opponents are quick to spin into "softness" and "flip-flopping". Can a "good man" or a "good woman" win these days? I hope so, but I wonder...

___________________

Also heard on Diane Rhem today was Ira Flatow, science reporter. The tidbit that caught my ear was about Bernoulli's Principle. Bernoullis' Principle describes the pressure of flowing liquids, and is very commonly cited to explain how air-flow and pressure around an airplane's wings allows the plane to stay aloft. I've read about this several times from different sources. Well -- turns out that Bernoulli's Principle has very little to do with planes staying aloft! Good thing for a homeschooling mom to know, since that myth is *everywhere* in science materials for kids! Here's a better explanation of the physics of flight. Watch out for the Bernoulli flight myth -- your kids may very well still encounter it at school, and certainly in library books and on the internet.

___________________

Brianna has begun a geometry segment in math. She's getting to use a drawing board with a T-square and triangles. She asked to do math today at 9 am -- before breakfast! Guess she likes geometry! :o)

___________________

The new First Day School (Sunday School) year has begun at our Quaker Meeting. We are trying some different formats this year in preparation for being in a new building without defined classrooms some time next year. We kicked off with a whole-group session we called "The God panel", in which 3 adults were invited to share their experiences and beliefs about God with the children (who ranged in age from 3 to 12). I was a little nervous about how it would go, but it turned out to be a beautiful experience. The kids remained engaged for the whole hour, even when the adults were trying to convey pretty complex ideas. I was struck by how much we grown-ups underestimate the spiritual depth of our youngest Friends.

6 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

And there I was, so sure your "silence" meant the baby was here!

Hope you're feeling well and that the little one makes an appearance soon!

naturalmom said...

Thanks Alissa, I'm feeling OK. BTW, I just sent an email to your aol address.

NorthCoastCouple said...

I'm also glad to know you haven't "popped" yet, since nobody told me otherwise. Any news on baby names?
I know what you mean about McCain. I've seen him on numerous talk shows and he's a likeable, admireable guy. (Funny too). I'm not likely to vote for him, but I still like him. I wish more politicians had his character as well.
I don't remember what I learned about airplanes staying aloft. I guess however it was taught to me, it didn't do too much damage!
Glad to hear Brianna likes geometry. I was never a super-skilled math girl, but I scored A's in geometry!
The "God Panel" sounds like a good idea. We had those several times in lieu of sermons during the regular church service when Rick and I were going to church in New Lothrop. They turned out to be pretty inspiring and insightful. I'm impressed that the kids stayed engaged! Good for them...

Just Me said...

I thought for sure you were having baby. I'd been thinking a lot about you this week and how exciting a new baby is. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

The First Day school "God Panel" sounds like it was a success. Did the kids also get to share any experiences of beliefs about god? I am always amazed at what Mr. Laura has to tell me about God. He definitely looks for God in his daily life and world around him. His idea of God is more in keeping with the Quaker sense of how God is viewed and experienced. I actually have several of the kiddos asking to go to a Friends Meeting. Our closest one is about 45 minutes away and I don't think they have a First Day School.

Angela DeRossett said...

I was wondering if you had the baby!! Can't wait to hear the good news!

Jennifer said...

Yep, another blog-checker, looking for "signs" here! ;)

I know what you mean about McCain, as well. I do not agree with his politics, on many, many issues. But he appears to be an honest and decent man, and one worthy of respect. Sadly, it's tough to say that about many politicians these days.

Now, go have that baby! :)